Groover

mercredi 29 mai 2024

Interview Slaughtersun

Slaughtersun formed in 2023, blending diverse influences into their unique death metal sound. Their music tackles dark themes, promising intense live performances and groundbreaking compositions.

1. How did Slaughtersun come together as a band, and what inspired the name and concept behind your music?

I’ve had the idea to form for Slaughtersun for a few years; but lacked the time to really dedicate to forming the full band. I spent free time writing demos and sketching things out but it wasn’t i til 2023 that I decided to make the push and really go for it. The lineup came together pretty naturally; Cody and I are bandmates in Thank You Scientist and he was into the idea of helping out in a death metal band which is a new genre for him. I met Jason and Justin through the studio I used to work for called Frightbox Recording and I produced releases by their bands Tombstoner and Cranial Damage, respectively. I felt that each of these musicians did something outstanding with their instrument and they’re all down to play and improve upon the music I put in front of them. The name “Slaughtersun” pays homage to the 1998 album by the Swedish band Dawn. It is also simply a sick sounding band name.

2. Your music is described as "groundbreaking death metal." Could you elaborate on what makes your sound unique within the genre?

The music is groundbreaking because I can’t think of anything else that sounds like it. The music is metal, and death metal is the primary sub-genre I draw influence from for this band, but it isn’t limited to that. Calling it death metal provides a box for us to step out of artistically.

3. Can you walk us through your songwriting process? How do you approach crafting such intense and intricate compositions?

The songwriting starts with me producing a somewhat complete song with a recorded demo. Jason and I then jam together to tweak my demo and really knock out the final form of the song. He has a great ear and feel for how a composition should flow so his input is instrumental to the final composition. I write out bass parts for Cody and chart it out to make sure that everything works harmonically and he will take my parts and improve them as he sees fit. Justin comes in with lyrics, more like a completed poem for the song and the two of us collaborate on the rhythm and phrasing of the vocal delivery. All of us in the band have very limited free time and I aim to be as organized as possible giving everyone stems and practice materials to compose parts on their own time to be fully prepared for our coveted rehearsals.

4. What themes or messages do you explore in your lyrics, and how do they resonate with the current state of the world?

The songs we’ve released so far have all been standalone themes. We generally keep the mood centered around darker subject matter. The lyrics for “Fall of the Firmament” are an exploration into the downward trajectory of modern day society where humanity as a whole becomes hopelessly addicted to and reliant on technology. “Ready Cell Awaits” is more introspective and is one of my favorites. This song takes the listener on the journey of a prisoner, locked away, counting down the hours before his death sentence and desperately clinging to any shred of religion or spirituality in an attempt to relieve the mental anguish of impending execution.

5. How has the New Jersey metal scene influenced Slaughtersun's music and growth as a band?

I grew up in the NJ metal scene and it’s part of who I am. I’m 34 years old now and it’s a great thing to see that live music on the local level is still strong. Many of the spots I used to go to back in high school and college to are no longer around like the Clash Bar, Bloomfield Ave Cafe and 10th Street live but there are a few survivors like the Meatlocker in Montclair. It’s an odd but good feeling going to shows and seeing the younger generation there and realizing that I’m now the 30 year old guy that’s just hanging out. I have to shout out my buddy Zakk Mild (Oxalate and Come Mierda) who's been promoting and booking shows throughout the state and in Brooklyn, he's doing a big part in keeping the local metal scene strong around here.

6. Your singles received critical acclaim. What was the recording and production process like, and what challenges did you face during that time?

The recording and mixing is all handled by me so full creative control stays within the band; plus it's nice to do everything in house and take our time and not have to worry about a budget. The songs are all demoed out thoroughly before going in to track anything so the tempos are locked in. I'm all about being organized and efficient in the studio whether it's my band or with clients. This way you have more mental bandwidth for creativity. The vocal tracking usually has a lot of impromptu moments where Justin and I will come up with weird production ideas like panning a vocal or adding doubles with a Morbid Angel type filter effect on key parts to accentuate words. I like to commit as much sonically at the tracking phase as possible to reduce the number of decisions I have to make during mixing.

7. Slaughtersun is known for its intense live performances. How do you prepare for shows, and what can audiences expect from your live sets?

Our debut performance is on June 29th at Lucky 13 in Brooklyn, NY. We are working towards a streamlined set and coming up with ways to bridge the time between songs to make the entire set a performance as opposed to several songs with breaks.

8. Are there any plans for future releases or projects that you can share with us?

At this time we have another single planned to release in the first week of July. In the summer we are planning a physical EP release containing all of our current singles and we've also done some live recordings with video which will be coming soon. While all this is happening, the first album is being written.


9. Finally, what do you hope listeners take away from Slaughtersun's music, and what are your aspirations for the band's future?

I hope this music makes listeners feel something strong. Whether it's a love for the music, a feeling of empowerment and vigor, or disgust and hatred of it- that's fine too. Any emotion real emotion is what I hope listeners take from this music.

slaughtersunnj | Facebook | Linktree 

https://slaughtersunnj.com/


 

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire