Groover

vendredi 19 juillet 2024

Interview CHALBÄRÄ

Embark on a journey with CHALBÄRÄ, where Nordic shamanic folk meets the rare Muotathal dialect. Discover how profound loss and a dark retreat shape their raw, authentic sound.

1. Can you tell us about the origins of CHALBÄRÄ and what inspired you to blend Nordic shamanic folk with the traditional Muotathal dialect?

I spent 10 days in complete darkness, without electronics or other people, just me and the darkness. During this time, I became very sensitive and experienced many inspirations. Ideas for songs, lyrics, the CHALBÄRÄ logo, and even album covers and video concepts all came to me. Also to sing Muotathal Dialect in a Nordic Folk style.

Now, it's about bringing these inspirations to life.

2. Your music is deeply influenced by the profound loss of your father. How has this personal experience shaped the sound and themes of CHALBÄRÄ?

I think it makes the music real. Rough, earthy and authentic. With CHALBÄRÄ I can process deep, genuine emotions. To talk about these emotions. To open up and work through what I've experienced. This helps me and gives the music an authenticity that goes very deep. The music is also very meditative, so that these emotions have space. For the listener, these are similar emotions from experiences that run deep. It doesn't necessarily have to be the suicide of a father. There are deep emotions in every area of life.

3. What was the 10-day dark retreat like, and how did it influence the creation of your music?

I was actually in 100% darkness for 10 days, without electronic devices, without people. Just me alone & the darkness. You have a lot of time to study & you become very sensitive. I was able to experience many inspirations during this time. They then come into your head & it immediately feels very simple, logical and correct. You immediately know “yes exactly, that's how it has to be”. Sometimes it only takes seconds, but you get so much information in a few seconds that you understand it all and then I made a lot of notes (yes, in the dark & I can even read it, hehehe). I had song ideas. Lyrics & theme ideas. As well as the logo for CHALBÄRÄ, I could already see the album cover before my eyes & what the video clips should look like. It was all there! Now it's about turning these valuable inspirations into something tangible.

4. The Muotathal dialect is unique and rugged. How do you incorporate this dialect into your music, and what do you hope listeners take away from it?

Our mountain village of Muotathal speaks a special, very rare Swiss German. You can recognize us by our language just 10km outside our village. Our dialect is rougher and earthier than it is spoken outside. We also use many old words that are otherwise no longer spoken in Switzerland. I'm often told that I have a unique dialect. I then had the idea that I could be 100% authentic. Mixing this with Nordic music is probably the spiritual part of me. So that the music becomes meditative and inspires you to enjoy, think and even dance.

5. CHALBÄRÄ's music is described as raw, captivating, and emotionally charged. Can you describe your creative process and how you channel your emotions into your work?

I also want to appear tidy so that interested people have the courage to get in touch and make contact. I certainly haven't finished processing the event yet (if I ever do). I think about it a lot. Sometimes every day. Not in a bad or resentful way, but I have many points of contact with the event and with my father. I'm constantly reminded, for example, that he hanged himself in the stairwell of my parents' house. I go in and out of there very often. The images stay in my head, of course. But I would also like to briefly mention this. He looked very peaceful when he was hanging there.

But what helped me the most was the 10-day dark retreat. I had great company and a dream interpreter worked with me and illuminated my dreams. (You have very powerful and strong dreams in the dark (after all, it's the only thing you can see, hehe)). It also helped me a lot to do more sport again, which, to my shame, I am currently neglecting again. I discovered a new passion while bouldering: when you're hanging on the wall, only you count. You alone. Everything else, every thought, is unimportant. Only YOU and the wall count. That helps a lot to clear your head.

6. How does your heritage and the traditional Swiss mountain village culture influence your music and artistic vision?

I'm sure I got the rustic part from our mountain village, where music is made by hand, with “Schwyzer Orgeli” (harmonica), violin & clarinet. I love listening to old traditional music. But Danheim inspires me the most, I feel at home there :-)

7. What are some of the challenges you face in creating and performing such a unique blend of music?

It is a challenge and a blessing at the same time. There is nothing else like it on the planet, which gives you endless freedom. But at the same time, you can't put your foot in your mouth and of course you have to act carefully.

But on the whole, I really appreciate this uniqueness, as it gives me a 100% authentic atmosphere. And authenticity is always right!

8. Can you share any memorable moments or reactions from your audience that have stood out to you since starting CHALBÄRÄ?

A wonderful memory is when I received a voice message from a Spanish fan: “How do you pronounce CHALBÄRÄ? We don't know this sequence of letters. SCHALBERE? Or how?” This showed me that I was on the right path. To bring my special dialect closer to international people.

But of course also the many kind messages from people who have experienced similar fates. Or from people directly affected by depression. It's very good to have 100% real conversations!

9. How do you see CHALBÄRÄ evolving in the future? Are there any new directions or projects you’re excited about?

CHALBÄRÄ will play live with Wardruna and Danheim, at special venues, I have lovely live musicians at my side & scream my heart out at the live shows! Be prepared, it will be emotional!

10. For those who are new to Nordic ritual folk or the Muotathal dialect, what would you recommend they listen to or explore to better understand and appreciate your music?

That's a damn good question!

Musically, my music definitely leans a lot towards DANHEIM. The dialect is otherwise only found in old traditional music. That's what makes the CHALBÄRÄ mix so unique.

CHALBÄRÄ | Nordic Ritual Folk with an old Swiss dialect (chalbara.ch)

CHALBÄRÄ | Instagram, Facebook, TikTok | Linktree


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire