Groover

mercredi 27 mars 2024

Interview Ornimental

Explore the captivating journey of Danny and Ornimental, from electrifying performances with the Miami-Dade Film Orchestra to chart-topping hits and navigating the evolving music industry landscape.



1. Can you tell us about your experience performing with the Miami-Dade Film Orchestra and the Emmy-winning "Video Game Concert"? How did this collaboration come about? 

Danny - It was nothing less than an incredible experience. I’m still invited to play with the Orchestra, but those first couple of shows were electric! It all happened in a series of events. No luck, no coincidence…it was meant to be. I was invited to play for a jazz trio for a Christmas event and it so happened that the Film Orchestra was supporting us that night. I was asked to play a “quick solo” for the show and I would get the green light to when to perform. Once I did it, I thought it was alright. But it so happened that the way I played was good enough for the conductor to ask me to play guitar for some songs they needed a guitarist for. It all happened so fast, but it still happened. I’m happy to have performed and still get to play with them for the VGC events. 

2. Your adaptation of the "Halo Theme" gained a lot of attention for showcasing your guitar skills. What was the inspiration behind choosing this particular piece, and how did you approach adding your own flair to it?

Danny - I play the way I play and Albert (Head conductor) encouraged me to “add my flair” to the theme song. Halo is known around the world and the theme song is just as iconic as the game itself. Everyone knows the theme song, even if you’re not a gamer. It’s one of the greatest themes ever made, so I wanted to perform it the way it makes me feel when I hear it. Of course, Since I’m performing it, it’s important that my “guitar voice” cuts through. Steve Vai plays the rock version of the piece, but I wanted to blend the best of both worlds. I wanted to acknowledge his iconic licks, but also implement my licks to help showcase what my voice could do for the Halo theme. I used to pretend to play infront of an audience when I was in middle school with the licks I came up with in my head, and then it finally happened for real. A huge goal in life was finally reached. 

3. "Encage," your first single, has been a massive hit with over a quarter-million views on YouTube. What was the creative process like for that song, and what message were you trying to convey through its lyrics and music?

Danny - I remember seeing the numbers going up and up and up. I thought to myself “Oh wow, This song is really resonating with people!”. We actually had a show where the power went out during our set and we were jamming to the song. All you heard were the people singing the lyrics while we still kept playing with no sound at all! That’s when I realized what kind of song we had. When we were making this song, It was actually for a different band called “Wrongful Death”. The singer at the time humored it but didn’t like it because it wasn’t as extreme as he wanted the music to be. It was too mainstream essentially, so it got shelved. When Ornimental started, I pulled the song out again and started to really complete it. I knew we had something there, it just needed the love for the song as it was. If it’s “too mainstream” then let’s go there. As for the lyrics, It’s about putting negative influences away in a place they can’t get out of. That one thing that’s toxic and won’t go away, so you have to put it in a cage. You take control, not the toxic influences controlling you. 

4. Congratulations on the success of your sophomore record, "Red White and Wrath." How has the reception been so far, and what can fans expect from this album in terms of themes and musical evolution?

Danny - RWW is an album that will always be the album that shows the bands transition out of the “throwback” vibe people were starting to label us as. I remember sort of freaking out one day and just saying “Well I don’t want to be known as an artist that lives in the past, screw that!”. So I had a sit down with the guys at the time and told them that we need to think forward as far as songwriting goes. When we finished the album, We were very proud of it and I’m still proud of it. To me, Seeing how critics still are about the record, You either completely love the album or you don’t like it at all. There’s no middle, there’s no grey area, it’s as simple as that. Thankfully, The positive feedback is much louder than the negative. It’s definitely more raw in the mix, it’s very experimental, it’s not conventional, it’s not trying to convince a label to sign the band. So many bands mold their whole world so they get singed to a label, and we’re here like “Ornimental will stay Ornimental and the right people will get us where we want to go. We’re not going to sacrifice our creativity for a quick buck and clout”. 


5. Ornimental has shared the stage with some major acts in the hard rock and metal scene. Can you share any memorable experiences or lessons learned from touring with such renowned artists?

Danny - It’s one thing to listen to some of your hero’s, but it’s a whole new animal when you actually see them face to face. I’m never one to get star struck, but I’ll never forget the butterflies I got meeting Alexi from Children of Bodom. He was such a nice guy and I had a great time talking with him about amps, and studio gear when recording a record. I’ll never forget when some guy came up to us and said “Oh my god, Two guitar gods talking amongst each other?! Can I get your guys autograph?!” 

I was like “Wait, You mean me with Alexi?! No way, That’s insane. I’m just a nerd who loves music!”.  From the couple of tours we did in the past with bands or solo tours, we learned that when you treat people with love, they will love you back. Don’t forget who you are or where you come from! 

6. Your music has received positive reviews from various sources. How do you navigate the balance between staying true to your artistic vision and catering to audience expectations or industry trends?

Tony - We focus exclusively on making music that we believe in. If we don't love what we do, we can't expect anyone else to. We never go out of our way to cater to anyone but ourselves.

Danny (response to Tony) - I agree, It’s about writing what comes from our heart, not to write to satisfy a guy with a cigar with his legs up on the desk. If there is anyone Ornimental will write for, it’s our Ornimental family. Our true fans that love our music and listen to the music we create together. 

7. What challenges have you faced as a band, especially in the competitive music industry, and how have you overcome them?

Danny - After Covid, The band was forced to stop. Everything we had planned was no longer possible and certain members at the time wouldn’t adjust to the necessary actions we needed to take. Prior to the recent pandemic, We had 100’s of labels, and A&R reps in LA tell us “No” for whatever reason they had at the time. We realized that we had something that was unique in a great way, but we also had work to do in other things. It was inevitable that Ornimental was evolving into something new, and it was going to leave anyone behind that refused to follow. Dimebag (Guitarist of Pantera) once said “You better role with it, or get rolled over!”. Though we have to rebuild, we still have all those connections that will help us get to the inevitable success I’ve so believed in for us! 

8. How do you approach songwriting as a band? Do you have a specific process or collaborative method that you find most effective?

Danny - It’s pretty much been the same since the band started. I usually bring in some sort of concept of a song or some riff ideas, and then we all come together and see what new directions those ideas go to. 2 brains are better than one really, so usually it always turns out great. Something that has been more recent is one of the guys will have a basic song structure already done and I’ll hear the rest of the song in my head as if it’s already completed. Point is, Someone usually brings what I like to call “the skeleton” of the song and we all come together and make it the best version it can be. 


9. As legends in the Miami music scene, what advice would you give to aspiring musicians who are trying to make a name for themselves?

Danny - As far as moving on from the “local musician” status, My biggest piece of advice is get yourself out there consistently, and adjust to the times. I know, Rock and Metal artist romanticize the previous eras of the genre and do things the way their hero’s did it, but the fact it those things don’t work anymore. You need to see how the industry changes and adjust to those changes as far as marketing to your audience. I’m not saying you need to “sell out” to make a quick buck, but I am saying that all artist need to stop living in the past and see how things work now. Write music that expresses you and connects with the world. However, What must change is your approach to grow as a brand and a business! 

10. Looking ahead, what are your future plans and goals for Ornimental? Any upcoming projects or collaborations that fans can look forward to?

Band - We’re happy to announce that we are indeed working on new music for the next record. We’re not gonna say much, but we will say that we’re doing new things that we haven’t done in the past. In the mean time, We have a new music video for “All American Fury” that you guys can check out, and our first featured song “Pretend” with Iriser, and Anexia. Our new music will start focusing on the serious rise of people battling mental health. All of us have been affected in one way or another. We’re excited to help all those that want to spread the awareness by creating music with real stories, experiences, and continued wounds that need to be mended. Ornimental is excited to go into a direction we’ve never gone before, and start a new era that will only evolve from there. One thing will never change though, Our music is made for our followers, our family, our community. We will always keep you in mind. 

Ornimental (@ornimental) • Photos et vidéos Instagram

Ornimental - All American Fury (Official Music Video) (youtube.com)

Stream Ornimental music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire