Groover

samedi 7 septembre 2024

Interview Romain Swan

Romain Swan's musical journey is a blend of rock, metal, and pop influences, marked by passion, resilience, and a unique style that bridges genres and captivates audiences.

1. Your journey in music began at 14 with the guitar. What was it about the guitar that captivated you, and how has your relationship with the instrument evolved over the years ?
Actually, I was already listening to rock and metal music at the age of 14. My favorite band was definitely Metallica (still today) and when I saw these 4 guys, and especially James Hetfield, I understood that this guitar I found in my grandparents house will suffer of my hard work to get the level.
At this moment, the guitar was officially an entire part of my life. I was so passionate about it, that’s the reason why I played for hours day after day.

2. You've transitioned from the rock and metal influences of the 80s and 90s to a more pop/rock style. What prompted this evolution in your music, and how do these different genres influence your songwriting today?
Absolutely. I wanted to take the rock/metal energy and to mix it with the pop melodies. I thought it was an interesting thing to do, then I tried it.
Obviously, it was for the studio versions, because when I’m on stage… you really can see that I Metalized the Pop. At my last concert, I had some rough metalheads that was headbanging next to a family with children in the front row. This is the way I like it.

3. Your debut EP, "Looking For Tomorrow," was self-produced. What challenges did you face during that process, and how did it shape your approach to creating music?
The main challenge to me was at first the fact that I needed to deal with sandwich class at this moment. Indeed, I was in my first year of a master degree, I had a lot to do at school and at the company that I was working at. I promoted the EP by being on stage and at the local radios many times during though periods and also at the eve of my final exam (I succeed by the way !).
But all this stuff made me realize that Music was a very difficult industry for those who wants to success here. It also conditioned me to be focus on both promotion/marketing of my art and songwriting, because we need to get more songs every time.


4. Signing with Hit The Tone Records marked a significant milestone in your career. How did this partnership impact the production and release of your first album, "All These Things"?
My first album “All These Things” was already done just after releasing the EP “Looking For Tomorrow”.
I had all the freedom I needed to write, to composed and to do whatever I wanted. It has no price for an artist.
And definitely, a label, even an indie one, make you more self-confident. Also, It allows you to play in better conditions by opening for celebrities and even by performing your own shows.
That’s why when we released “All These Things”, the promotion was stronger than the first opus and many countries known my name, like Germany, UK, Canada and USA.

5. You've performed in several iconic Parisian venues. How has playing live in these spaces influenced your performance style and connection with your audience?
You have to be on the level. That’s all we have to know. First for the audience who pay to have fun while you’re playing, but also for the potential legends that were here before you.
Never forget who you are as a simple human, but never underestimate the power of the stage and the highlights. At this moment, you can’t step back and you must face the crowd.
I mean, if you mix your personal feelings about the venue itself and the adrenaline, you will do something crazy for sure.

6. Collaborating with artists like Samer Elnahhal on "Call Me The Devil" was a major step in your career. How did this collaboration come about, and what was it like working with a former member of Lordi?
I first seen Samer at the end of his musical journey with Lordi in 2019. It was a super cool time in Paris with my best friend seeing this band I loved so much and which made me love the metal music as a teenager. Samer Elnahhal aka OX, the bass player, was my favorite character in the band. A really strong and charismatic guy. I had posters of him in my bedroom (true fact).
And then, April 2022 came. The day after a Ghost concert in Paris, I get inspired by Tobias Forge (the singer) and decided to write and to composed a song about the Devil as a positive guy.
I recorded a full demo but I still needed to get a great bassline and my only skills were not enough.
I contacted Samer on his personal account on socials by saying “Hello, remember me?” (we already talked before). Blahblahblah I need a bassline and I was wondering if you’d be interested by working with me. And guess what, he said yes !
I recorded the definitive song in the studio I used to work with near Paris, he recorded the bassline in Helsinki (Finland) and he travelled Europe to shot our official music video in France. That was so incredible. We are friends now and we love to collaborate on other stuff.
One of my best memories as an artist !


7. Your single "Au Singulier" received considerable attention from both media and radio. What inspired this track, and how did its success influence your subsequent projects?
This song is composed of French verses and an Italian chorus (my origins). I guess the mix of those two languages added to a modern pop arrangement was a great deal for medias and radios.
After that I produced an other EP called “Singulier” composed of 5 songs in the same vibe. I tried to deal with the format that radio/medias wanted. But I was not totally comfortable with this while playing live. That’s why I hit the rock’n’roll road back my friend !

8. "Bloody Business," your upcoming release with Romane Baudry, is described as a "Rock'n'Love Story." Can you tell us more about the inspiration behind this song and the dynamic between you and Romane in creating it?
I know Romane since 2018 because she was a close friend of Oriane (my cousin and bass player in my band). We needed an extra for a music video with a mask and then, she came. After that in 2021, she played a true role into another music video where we saw her true face.
And 2 years later, she directed the music video for “Call Me The Devil” ft. Samer Elnahhal.
But after years of friendship, we had both a really bad personal lover life, a trip to Majorca (Spain) made us realized something we didn’t see it coming.
The day after we came back, we create this song with I think, deep feelings and personal disguised quotes into the text who significate a lot for each other.
Plus, our respective moods to decide to kick some ass was also a bargain to do a great rock’n’love song with a road movie spirit.

9. You've cited influences like Paramore, Lenny Kravitz, and Corey Taylor. How do these artists shape your music, and what elements of their work do you aim to incorporate into your own sound?
They all have something very brilliant : an easy way to do rock’n’roll commercial hits which are not always sounding like a commercial hit. This is interesting to analyze, how those artists are able to work this way through the times !
They also are deeply connected with their fans. The music universe is made for it and I find it truly inspiring.

10. With concerts scheduled at venues like La Boule Noire and Le Klub, what can fans expect from your live performances in 2024? How do you plan to make these shows memorable?
They can expect to have fun in hot places with good musicians on stage (I have the best guys – and girl – by my side, I don’t want to know anything ! ahah).
They will love heavy guitars and powerful chorus we all sing together and we’ll have some physical contact for sure because I like to jump in the crowd with the mic on.
Sometimes, I reserve surprises…

11. Your music has received support from notable figures like Michel Drucker and Gérald Dahan. How has this recognition impacted your career, and what advice have you received from these industry veterans?
Michel Drucker is the most iconic journalist in France. When I met him for the first time, he asked me to never surrender whatever it happens. The second time, he already knew the dates of my next gigs… That was amazing.
Gérald Dahan is a famous humorist in France and he proposed me to open the shows for him several times.
When I received some attention and encouragements from celebrities, I know that I do what I do for the good reasons and nobody will stop my path. I swore it to my late great grandmother, such a holy promise.

12. Looking ahead, what are your aspirations for your music career? Are there any particular goals or projects you're excited to pursue in the coming years?
I absolutely need to stay passionate about what I do. And for sure, I’m so in love with this addiction that music is.
My goals are simple, more concerts, more songs, a new EP or album (certainly both), meet new inspiring people and then… being happy !

Romain Swan

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire