Groover

dimanche 16 juin 2024

Interview Mylingen

Viktor of Mylingen discusses the band's evolution from Apathy Noir, embracing artistic freedom, Swedish lyrics, and diverse metal influences in their debut album "Under En Svart Himmel".

1. Viktor, can you tell us about the transition from Apathy Noir to Mylingen? What inspired you to start a new project after 16 years with your previous band?

Well, I felt that I was done with Apathy Noir and wanted to start up a new project from scratch. This would also give me more artistic freedom since there is no history to take in account.

2. How did you approach the creation of Mylingen's debut album "Under En Svart Himmel"? What were some of the key influences and ideas that shaped the album's sound and themes?

Yes, when I started Mylingen I had a few ideas that I wanted it to base on and take inspiration from; nature, folklore but also themes like existensialism.

3. The album features lyrics entirely in Swedish. What led to this decision, and how do you think it impacts the music and its reception by your audience?

I felt that having the lyrics in Swedish was more appropriate for the subject matters of the lyrics, as well as it felt more natural and personal. Of course, it also makes the album stand out a bit from the crowd.

4. Can you describe the collaboration process between you and Eric Holmberg on the vocal arrangements and lyrics for the new album? How did his contribution shape the final product?

I like to give the vocalist as much freedom as possible when it comes to arrangements and lyrics. I had some basic ideas as to where I wanted the vocals parts and what the subject of the lyrics would be but other than that Eric could do pretty much what he wanted. As soon as I heard the first demo he sent me I knew this was going to work well, I felt he understood the music and his arrangements worked really well without much need to re-record or change stuff. As he recorded separately from me it can be a challenge to make it sound cohesive but I think he did an excellent job!

5. Mylingen's music incorporates a mix of Death, Black, and Doom Metal with Progressive and Folk elements. How do you balance these diverse genres to create a cohesive sound?

I think it is quite difficult to label the sound of Mylingen with only one word so I ended up using that combination of styles because that's what I think it sounds like but in the end genre tagging is not that important to me. I don't really think that much about genres while writing and recording, things just comes out the way it does.

6. The themes of your lyrics include death, aging, existentialism, and Swedish folklore. How do these themes reflect your personal experiences or views?

Well, I have always been fascinated by folklore and traditional storys and sagas but I can't say that I'm an expert on the field. The other side of the themes have a more personal source. I just turned 40, so I guess it's just natural that you begin to think about your own life and the brittle nature of things. Seeing relatives getting older and sick and so on.

7. What was the biggest challenge you faced while working on "Under En Svart Himmel," and how did you overcome it?

The biggest challenge this time was actually sitting down and recording stuff. My inspiration has not been consistent, it's really been a roller coaster with highs and lows but I insisted on not releasing anything I wasn't proud of so the recording process took a bit longer than usual.  Having a full time job and a house on the countryside also takes a bit of time and energy of course.

8. How does your approach to music differ in Mylingen compared to Apathy Noir, especially in terms of creative freedom and musical experimentation?

This time around I feel that I could be a lot more free exploring other genres and styles and incorporate into the Mylingen. It is more of a blank paper. I also don't want to be releasing the same album each time so it is important to keep evolving and trying new stuff.

9. The EP released in 2023 did not gain much attention. How did this influence your approach to the full-length album, and what changes did you implement to ensure a wider reach and impact?

Well, that't probably my own fault as I didn't do much promotion or marketing for it. I just wanted to put something out there to test the waters, so to speak. The response I did get was great, so it gave me confidence to start working on a full-lenght album. This time around I will be promoting it a lot more and it will also be released as a digipack CD. 

10. With "Under En Svart Himmel" having both physical and digital releases, what are your expectations for the album's reception and the future of Mylingen? Are there any plans for touring or further projects?

Of course I hope to get good reviews and some attention from both fans and potentially labels. At the moment there are no plans for live shows or touring since I don't have a live band put together, but who knows - if there is enough interest it might happen in the future. Other than that I will soon start writing new material. I would love to do like a 40 or 60-minute track and release as a single, but I've been saying that for years and it hasn't happened yet, but maybe this time!

Facebook

Musique | Mylingen (bandcamp.com)

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire