Groover

samedi 3 août 2024

Interview Keanu Ienco

In this interview, guitarist Keanu Ienco discusses the personal inspirations behind his new instrumental single 'Playful Love,' reflecting on family, loss, and the emotional journey of grief and acceptance.

1. Keanu, congratulations on the release of your new single 'Playful Love.' Can you share the inspiration behind this instrumental piece? 
In 2022, I attended an Yvette Young (guitarist of Covet) workshop. One of the exercises in her class involved her giving you two cards with words on them and then writing a riff from those words. The two words I got on my cards were "Playful" and "Love". I interpreted "Playful Love" as a type of platonic love one feels with family or friends. My brother Lance and my dog Baci had recently passed away and my grandmother became ill at this time. So I came up with a riff about family love and how it feels when that love is gone. I continued working on that riff until I completed a whole tune!

2. You mentioned that 'Playful Love' is a tribute to family members you've lost. How did those personal experiences influence the composition of the song?
The experience of losing family members was a huge influence on the composition of the song. I wrote the song to represent my journey through grief and acceptance. The somber moments reflect my periods of sadness and deep thought while the heavier parts represent the pain that can feel like an attack when it comes on while grieving.

3. The title 'Playful Love' refers to platonic love. Can you elaborate on how you translate such complex emotions into music?
One way in which I translate complex emotions is by using open string voicings and chords with upper extensions. Open string voicings like the ones you hear in the intro of 'Playful Love' always make me feel certain feelings in a way that's not so black and white. When I use these voicings it's a way to paint an audible picture of numerous emotions all at once. I find triad chords to be quite static and often only emote simple emotions such as happy and sad. While the voicings I like to use can have elements of both happiness and sadness at once.

4. Your new single follows your acclaimed debut album, Celestial Desire. How has your music evolved since the release of that album?
Since the release of Celestial Desire I have gotten into a lot more music! 'Playful Love' feels like a bit of an extension of the music I made on my debut record but foreshadows some of the sounds that will be heard on an upcoming release of mine. Some of my newer music has some heavier riffs influenced by artists such as Plini and I'm really excited to explore this further. On the other hand, I've been getting into a lot of neo-soul so there will be more grooves and soul sounds as well!

5. You've mentioned that 'Playful Love' starts somber but becomes loud and hopeful. What message do you want listeners to take away from this progression?
The main message I want a listener to take away is that it's okay to feel sad or cry about your lost loved ones and that it's important to remember that their love will never truly be gone.

6. Your ability to blend Native American culture with dynamic guitar-driven soundscapes is unique. How do you approach integrating your heritage into your music?
I often research or explore Indigenous history and culture. The stories and ideas I learn are then translated onto guitar. An example is my track 'Wovoka's Dance' which is a piece I wrote about the historical Paiute native american Wovoka and the ghost dance movement. I also like to use certain instruments such as rattles and traditional drums in my tracks when appropriate. A goal for a future project of mine is to collaborate with other Indigenous artists.


7. Can you talk about your journey from receiving your first guitar at eight to performing professionally by sixteen? What were some key moments in that journey?
There is a certainly a lot! One would be the first time I heard an original song of mine on the radio with my old band at the age of thirteen. Another would be meeting some of my heroes such as Peter Frampton and Brian May in my teen years. Of course in those years I have to owe it to my guitar teacher Jim Blair and my parents for nurturing my craft as well.

8. You've shared the stage with renowned musicians like Steve Vai and Delfeayo Marsalis. How have these experiences influenced your own musical style?
Well Steve Vai is one of my biggest influences and being able to trade lines with him and watch him up close truly lit a fire under myself to become the best guitar player I can be. When I played with Delfeayo Marsalis I was mainly focusing on learning from a jazz master to better my own jazz chops and skills. Both of these moments have influences my own music as I often pull from my jazz influences and prog guitar influences.

9. How did your Bachelor's degree in Jazz Studies from Vancouver Island University contribute to your development as an artist?
The music program at VIU was an amazing experience that helped me as an artist. I was able to learn jazz theory/jazz skills on guitar, learn how to jam and collaborate with other players better etc. However, the biggest contribution was from my private lessons with my guitar instructor Lee Ellefson. Lee truly encouraged myself to find my own voice on the guitar through composition. Lee's music is also a big infljence on my own. The open string voicings in 'Playful Love" I mentioned earlier were taught to myself by Lee!



10. Your debut album, Celestial Desire, received critical acclaim and a nomination for “Instrumental Artist of the Year” at the 2022 Western Canadian Music Awards. How did that recognition impact your career?
It has helped my career in more than a few ways! The nomination really felt like a pay off to my hard work that I put into my debut album and made me want to start writing new material even faster! It has also been a great recognition to put on my resume when booking shows and opportunities.

11. You're currently based in both British Columbia and the Southern United Kingdom. How do these different environments influence your music and creativity?
Both places have their quirks and I love taking those quirks and expanding on them in a musical way. I've also met many friends in both places that influence my life which in turns influences my music.

12. Looking ahead, what are your plans for future projects or releases? Can we expect more music that explores themes similar to 'Playful Love'?
I am currently working on a few projects actually! I'm not sure which one will be finished first but people can definately expect a follow up album and singles at some point. My music will always be exploring my life and emotions so the themes will constantly change. However, I can confirm that I will always write music that is truly an extension of myself.


Keanu Ienco

keanuienco | Instagram, Facebook, TikTok | Linktree

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire