Groover

samedi 6 avril 2024

Interview Brian Lambert

Welcome to the interview, where Brian Lambert dives into the inspiration behind 'Wild,' his unique blending of punk and shoegaze, and the transformative power of music.

1. Congratulations on the release of your latest album, "Wild." Can you share the inspiration behind the title, and how this collection of songs differs from your previous works?

Thank you for the opportunity to talk about it.  The inspiration for the title comes from the title track, Wild.  The idea behind the song is the question, how good would it be to just let go?   On some level there is this part of us that wants to howl at the moon, it’s often demonized as a bad part of us.    After deciding that this was the theme of the album, I curated the rest of the tracks in a way that followed a certain feeling of not being boxed into conventional ideas of what kind of songs belong on the album. For this album I was conscious of putting certain songs on and leaving certain songs off.  In the past I simply took the songs I thought were the best and slapped them together and called it an album, so that was different.

2. "Never Back Down" and "Face Master" showcase a fusion of punk energy and Shoegaze landscapes. How did you approach blending these diverse elements, and what do you hope listeners take away from these singles?

My approach is always very experimental and so there wasn’t an intention at the outset of blending styles.  After As Particles Collide added their guitar stamp on “Never Back Down” then an aesthetic became apparent and could be incorporated to give it the vibe.  It’s really a function of all the music I’ve been listening to recently which has been a ton of shoegaze but also hard driving music.  I hope listeners feel pumped up, though not assaulted by the sounds.  Emotionally the audience could have an experience like someone handing you a cassette tape of a band that is giving you everything while embracing you in a blanket of guitar fuzz.

3. The 52 Week Music Production Challenge demonstrated your exceptional commitment to your craft. How did this challenge influence your songwriting process, and did it lead to any unexpected creative breakthroughs?

The challenge really opened me up to the idea of letting go and working fast as a way to really get at the emotion that a song creates.   When you have to get a song out every week, the sense of urgency begs you to ask what is important.  For me what is important is how the music makes you feel.  Sometimes as an artist we can get too much in our heads and try to think our way into a feeling.  Music and art hit some place different than our intellect.  Learning to work fast due to the time constraints helped me stay focused on what became the most important thing for me in music creation which is how does the music make you feel.

4. Your music is often described as a global rock perspective that transcends geographical boundaries. How has your exposure to different musical influences shaped your sound, and what specific elements from the 80s and 90s rock era do you intentionally incorporate into your music?  

I listen to music very broadly and am curious about a lot of different kinds of music.  Sometimes it is Latin American pop from the  00’s or 80’s J Pop,  70’s German experimental rock.  Whenever you consume so much music it naturally filters into it.  As to the question of 80’s and 90’s era rock, so much of that is what I listened to growing up.  It’s not intentional, it’s just me.  I suppose if there was something I did intentionally, it would be how I choose to  make the drums in your face and driving.  A few years ago I was thinking about why that era’s music really spoke to me and one of the conclusions was that rocking beat so I really lean into that.

5. "Wild" adds another dimension to your discography. Can you walk us through the overarching theme or narrative that ties the album together, and how do you approach creating a cohesive yet diverse body of work?    

So much of it has to do with the sounds.  The songs for the album were recorded over a period of a couple years.  In order to get a sonic cohesion I went back and mixed and mastered them all at the same time.  That sonic imprint gives it the sense of belonging together.  I had so many songs to choose from that picking the songs came down to, does that song feel like it belongs after that one?  Since one of the themes of the album is being free and letting go, it didn’t make sense to intellectualize it.  The mantra was if it feels right, it is right.

6. Beyond your solo career, you're also the lead vocalist of The Star Crumbles. How does collaborating with Marc Schuster in the band differ from your solo projects, and what unique elements does The Star Crumbles bring to the musical landscape?

Working with Marc is an absolute joy.  What I love about working in The Star Crumbles is that I am responding to someone else’s vision with the music that Marc creates.  I get to listen and then ask what is it this piece tells me it needs?. Because I get Marc’s unique approach to music, I get to focus on experimenting with lyrical and melodic structures via my voice and synth parts.  It’s really fun and an awesome way to express a different aspect of my musical experience.  In terms of unique elements that it brings, that’s tough to say.  To me it’s a natural evolution of alternative music, another link in the chain of alternative music, so to speak.

7. Your music is known for its ability to evoke deep emotional resonance. Can you share the emotional journey you hope your listeners experience when they engage with your songs, and how do you infuse your personal experiences into your music?  

Enlivened, emboldened and ready to take on the world.   Life can be hard and good music can raise your spirits.  It’s what I get out of music and what I hope to give.   As to my personal experiences being woven into the music, I don’t know how it could be any other way.  The creator always leaves some aspect of themselves into their creations.  If that’s the case then I don’t have to try to do it, it’s just there.

8. The alt-rock scene has witnessed a resurgence in recent years. How do you see your music contributing to or challenging the current trends in the alternative rock genre?

Wow, that’s tough to say.  By continuing to put out alternative rock music, it keeps it alive.   Someone else listens to someone trying something different and it inspires them to try something different.   I’ve always loved alternative rock because it’s not beholden to any one sound or trend.  I have no idea if the work I’m putting out will affect a greater audience or not.  

9. Your stage presence is often described as electric. How do you prepare for live performances, and what do you believe is the key to creating a memorable and impactful live show?  

 Creating a memorable and impactful show is dependent on connecting with the audience.  For me, performing for people has always been easier than recording.  There is something there when I am singing to people, I get locked in.  Maybe that’s what stage presence is.  To get ready, I rehearse the music very intently, imagining the audience and staying connected with them.  It’s really a very simple thing that requires focus.  I don’t know why I’ve always felt energized on a stage in front of people.  Maybe it’s like people who are addicted to jumping out of planes, there’s no rush quite like it.

10. The fusion of 80s new wave and modern sounds in The Star Crumbles has been well-received. How do you balance paying homage to the past while keeping your music fresh and relevant for contemporary audiences?  

Because we don’t really talk about those things, this is my best guess from my part in the creation of Star Crumbles music.   Marc and I listen to a ton of new music while being steeped in music we grew up with.  I don’t think we intended to pay homage to 80’s new wave as much as nodded hard at our influences. For example “Trees In A Forest” is pointing at The Cure’s “A Forest” but sounds more like New Order if I had to pick.  But then again it doesn’t really sound like either of them because I suppose it sounds more modern.  I’m listening to that particular track to see if I can hear what you are saying and pin down how it works as a bridge from the past to right now sonically.  I guess I’m too close to it, to really know.

11. In your opinion, what role does music play in uplifting and inspiring people, and how do you aim to convey these emotions through your own musical expressions? 

It is a very important function that music can provide.  At this moment in time when you look around and see people’s spirits down, one does feel a sense of responsibility to attempt to enliven people’s hearts.   Hard times come and we make it through.  I have faith in people.  Sometimes you can lift people by helping them remember good times.  Sometimes uplifting happens by acknowledging sadness.  Sometimes you need to melt their faces with thunderous guitar fuzz for them to feel alive.  That’s why I love music so much.

I guess the answer to the second part is it’s all through the performance.  I feel what I want to be felt and let it rip.  If you start thinking too much, it becomes impossible.

12. Can you share a particular moment or experience in your musical journey that has significantly shaped your approach to creating and performing music?

The 52 Week Music Production Challenge changed everything for me.   Pushing myself to commit to getting the work done and out there gave me great confidence in my ability.   In a way I had to convince myself that I was an artist.  I believe every artist has a mountain to climb and see what the terrain looks like.  For every artist it’s a different mountain.  The 52 Week Music Production Challenge was mine.

13. The industry has evolved significantly throughout your career. How do you navigate the challenges and opportunities presented by the current music landscape, especially in terms of reaching and connecting with your audience?  

You’re not kidding.  When I started, it was the beginning of the end for rock bands being able to go town to town and promote a record.   It was also the end of rock bands getting signed to labels for long term deals so they could develop.  Since then it’s been the Wild West, with first Napster and I-Tunes to streaming and YouTube.  You also have social media which really changed the landscape.  I really have no idea what will happen next.  

In terms of staying connected in some ways it’s so much easier with email lists and social media.  On the other hand now there are so many people doing it, standing out and staying connected is a real challenge.  One of the reasons is because there are so many talented artists.  I see that as a good thing.  I’m working very hard to stay connected to the people for whom this music is important. One of the biggest rewards of doing music is the connection with people.

14. Looking ahead, what can fans expect from Brian Lambert in terms of upcoming projects or collaborations?   

I just helped my friend As Particles Collide, with his latest release Within Cells Intertwined Pt.1 and that was a great experience.   We’ve become good friends and we’ve got a track together on Part 2 which he is working on right now.   My other brother from another mother, Quizboy has a great track that I absolutely love coming out that I got to add some backing vocals and guitar.  I also mastered that track.   A Star Crumbles record could surprisingly happen at any moment.   For my own work, I’m in a bit of an exploratory mode at the moment.   I’ve got a batch of songs I’m workshopping and I have some general ideas of what direction sonically I would like to go.   In my head I’d like to work with a new producer in order to get a fresh perspective.  I’m not sure who yet.  The process is evolving.

15. As a contemporary rock and roll icon, what message or legacy do you hope to leave through your music, and how do you envision your impact on the future of rock music?

Wow, ok.  Joy, happiness, and  a never give up attitude is what I hope people now and in the future get from listening to the music..  It’s fun to imagine that sometime in the future people are still listening to the music, spreading joy across time would be my deepest wish.   I am so grateful to be alive during the time of rock and roll music. It’s impossible to imagine my life without it.   Music has saved my life so many times, I hope that the music I am fortunate to make can impact people in the same way.

Brian Lambert (brianlambertmusic.com)

Facebook

Musique | Brian Lambert (bandcamp.com)

Brian Lambert - Never Back Down (Official Lyric Video) (youtube.com)

Brian Lambert (@lambert_brian) • Photos et vidéos Instagram

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire