Groover

jeudi 12 octobre 2023

Interview Jenica

 In this exclusive interview, Colby, the driving force behind JENICA, opens up about the band's origin, their distinctive blend of nostalgic metalcore, and the emotional intensity he pours into his performances. We dive into the inspiration behind their debut singles, the upcoming album 'JENICA,' and the influence of early 2010s metalcore bands. Colby shares how small-town Alabama shaped their music and their aspirations for the future. With rapid fanbase growth, JENICA's journey is one to follow on digital platforms. Stay connected via TikTok, YouTube, and Spotify. Read on for a glimpse into the heart and soul of this rising metalcore sensation.


1. Can you tell us about the origins of JENICA and how the band came together in the heart of Skyline, Alabama ?

So, JENICA was named after one of the best persons I’ve ever known, she introduced me to bands like Eyes Set To Kill, and that alone opened me up to other bands, progressively getting heavier and heavier, until I found out about 2006 Bring Me The Horizon. So the name is a nod to her, who I still have complete respect and adoration. JENICA is also a solo thing. I’ve spent my whole life wishing I could join a band but was too afraid to commit to it. Until recently, I said “I want to try it” and it’s been going very well since.

2. Your music has been described as a blend of powerful melodies and bone-crushing riffs. How would you describe the unique sound and style of JENICA?

The 2008 era scene and metal was in my opinion the best. Yes, it’s fueled from nostalgia, but that MySpace era of metal was just different. Nothing beats finding a band on MySpace, going over to Last.FM and searching an artist they sound a like. So our sound is based on that, and especially Oli Sykes, from BMTH.

3."Dirt Eater" and "Pain" are your explosive debut singles that have gained significant attention. Can you share the inspiration behind these songs and what message you wanted to convey through them?

Dirt Eater is a song about choice, and Pain is about the loss and coming to terms with the pain other create in you. Both songs,  for me, are conversations between two “entities” usually over a third entity, of which is referring to myself as a person. The high screams and low roars are two sides of whatever they’re talking about. Dirt Eater is a reference to the method of suicide slaves used to employ to avoid their future and harsh realities. The song itself is the Id and Ego fighting over control of “Me”. Do we have a choice? Or are we simply a product of what we really think versus how we should react to something. Am I helping a begger because it’s the right thing to do, or do I genuinely want to help them? What part of me wants to get up and make art and why does another part of me think I’m useless at it? That sort of mindset.

Pain is a clear nod to Naruto and Pain, however the overall theme is about coming to terms with what Dirt Eater was about. “I’ve decided what I want to do, I’m going to do the thing. I’m going to bring pain to that part of me that says I’m worthless”

4. Colby, your vocals are a standout element in your music, delivering visceral and emotional screams. How do you channel your emotions into your performances, and what do you hope listeners take away from your delivery?

My hope is listeners feel the rawness of my emotions. It’s incredibly personal sharing music like this. This is a glimpse into my essence as a person and it’s both challenging and incredibly freeing. I don’t hold back when I’m recording, and often times will scream so hard I start to dry heave, and have to rest before starting again. I want listeners to feel the power. Whether or not you can understand the words, you should be able to feel the passion.

5. JENICA's lyricism touches on themes of love, loss, resilience, and self-discovery. How do these themes relate to your personal experiences and small-town origins in Alabama?

I’ve always been a really big empath, and been overly emotional. But I’ve also experienced a lot of pain, hurt, and depression, a lot like most people do these days. Doesn’t matter where you’re from, pain is still pain, hurt is still hurt, and losing love is losing love. Everyone relates to misery.

6."Dirt Eater" has garnered over 600 streams in its first week, and you gained over 5000 followers on TikTok in just an hour. How do you feel about the rapid growth of your fanbase, and what do you attribute this early success to?

Was scary at first haha. I don’t have a lot of friends currently that listen to this type of music, so I just… boots not the ground and asked for peoples opinions. You scroll through TikTok and you’ll see a bunch of new artists in every genre doing the same thing I’m doing, and they’re giving their opinions on your songs, their songs, other popular band songs. If something is good, people notice. Shout out to Hunter Black, Ohrionreacts, and so so many more for listening to my song and giving me the amazing feedback. Hearing someone you respect goes, “That shit slaps” or “This makes me want to disrespect my surroundings” is the biggest compliment there is.

And now, I’m doing everything I can to get it in front of people. It’s very hard at first to find promoters and things that weren’t fake or offering fake bot programs. I got 20 DMs the first 5 minutes I uploaded to slaps.com from people trying to sell me fiverrr programs that “guarantees 100k streams” which is totally disrespectful to anyone who respects what they’re trying to do.

7. Can you provide some insights into your upcoming debut album, "JENICA," which is set to release in early 2024? What can fans expect from this album?

More raw and powerful vibes. If you don’t have a favorite breakdown, hook, or scream, I have let you and myself down substantially. If none of the songs resonate with you, I have missed the mark. 

I’m working with a couple different guys, Wilo, from sevensixtwo I think is his band, did the work for Dirt Eater, and it was incredible. I’m having him do the majority of the sounds on the album. He’s just so damn talented. 

8. Your music has been described as a revival of the early 2010s metalcore sound. What are some of the bands or artists that have influenced your music and style?

Oh man, it’s name drop time haha. Biggest inspiration vocal wise is Oli Sykes, from Bring Me The Horizon. But all of those era metal core bands come to mind. At The Throne of Judgement had, in my opinion, the best random first album. Just a complete amazing album, from some dudes in high-school or college, who did their thing, made a masterpiece, then just lived their lives. Growing up on Atreyu, BMTH, Attack Attack, A Static Lullaby, and my countless gigabytes of musical memories I had as a teenager lend respect to it.

9. Small-town Alabama might not be the first place that comes to mind when one thinks of metalcore. How has your small-town background shaped your music and your journey in the music industry?

Mychildren Mybride is the last band I know that “made it big”, but we have some amazing talents in this area. Like prodigies in their own right, but they’re so good they’re picked to do better things in bigger industries.

10. As you continue to gain momentum and recognition, what are your aspirations and goals for the future of JENICA?

Would love to do more things like this. Interviews, people showing interest. A few years ago I would say Warped Tour, but that can’t happen now haha. I just want to take this as far as I can take it.

11. Your music is now available on major streaming platforms. How important is it for you to connect with your audience through digital platforms, and what role do social media and streaming services play in your music promotion?

It’s absolutely the core of it. We’re in a time now that you can be completely successful and not do a single live show. Fans are the heart to everything, and for every single person that shows interest in the music I’ve made means so much more to me than anything I could hope for. So thank you all for sharing my stuff, following, listening, everything. It means the world to me. 

12. Finally, where can fans and potential listeners stay updated on your music, tour dates, and upcoming releases? Do you have any exciting plans or announcements you'd like to share with your audience?

Follow me on TikTok at @JENICAband, I post new songs before I ever upload anywhere else, and all the weird funny things I do. Follow me anywhere you get your music. I read every comment, every like, every review. Thank you guys so much!!



TikTok.com/@JENICAband
YouTube.com/@JENICAband

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4JZD0vPln9ow2ImUpvMaqY?si=g3hPtt6NSEqSki9fxL69kg

 

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire