Groover

samedi 28 octobre 2023

Interview Antony Welford

Discover the incredible journey of Antony Welford, a seasoned musician whose passion was reignited by iconic records. He shares insights into his self-sufficient music creation process and collaborations, and his vision for the future. Find out what keeps him motivated and the role of visuals in enhancing his music. Explore his upcoming projects and the defining moments in his career, as well as his advice for aspiring musicians.

1. Can you tell us more about your musical journey, starting from when you first picked up a guitar in 1985 to where you are today as a seasoned musician?

I was inspired to start playing the guitar by one record. Powerslave by Iron Maiden. I formed my first band soon after. We were signed by Neat records in Newcastle and released 3 singles and 1 album before burning out and breaking up in 1995. Life intervened and I let the music slide for many years, before the passion was reignited in 2015. Again, it was specific record(s) that did it. Ghost, Muse and Iron Maiden all released what I consider to be some of their best work in that year. Ghost was a particular inspiration to me, as I was extremely done with the screaming vocals and predictable riffs that dominated metal music for the previous 20 years.

2. What inspired your decision to become self-sufficient in writing, performing, recording, and releasing rock music in your home studio, especially during the pandemic?

I had been slowly getting back into the local live music circuit as a solo artist, but just when I was getting a set together, the world was closed. I had also discovered that hyperacusis was an issue for me in loud spaces and rehearsal rooms, which was limiting my options live. So, I decided to refocus on the studio, and just trying to make the best music I could, by myself. I like the challenge of having to learn new skills, like lead vocals or video production, that previously I would leave to someone else.

3. How do you balance your roles as a singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist in your music creation process?

Songwriting happens very quickly for me. Once the idea is there, I can lay down a basic track in a couple of days. But then I tend to spend months on an iterative process of layering vocals, trying different vocal styles, mixing, leaving the song for a week, coming back to it with fresh ears, trying something else. I am aware that this is the opposite of the “write it, record it, release it and move on” that is recommended for most new artists, but again, I enjoy it, so I am going to do it my way. I am not in a hurry.

4. Could you share some insights into your creative process? How do you typically approach writing and composing new songs?

There are two main ways a song starts. It can be a melody in my head, or a riff on the guitar. The lyrics are always the last and most difficult part. I find that the music inspires the words, rather than the other way round. I can’t take a lyric and express it musically.


5. You mentioned current influences such as Iron Maiden, Ghost, Katatonia, and occasionally Oasis. How have these bands influenced your recent work, and what aspects do you draw from them?

I would say each of these have influenced me in specific ways. From Iron Maiden, I got the idea that a piece of music can have a “wow” factor. I’m not interested in whimsical songs that play nicely on the radio, I want music that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I hear it. The guitar solos on Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner did that to me all those years ago. Ghost and Katatonia showed me that melodic vocals still had a place in modern metal, and rock / metal with melodic vocals and memorable hooks is a fair description of what I try to create. Oasis is something else. I was into them in the 90s, but I rediscovered a love for their early work a few years ago. Their releases up to and including the Masterplan are just a tidal wave of great songs, great singing and raw emotion.


6. Growing up in the northeast of England and now residing near London, how has your geographic background influenced your music, if at all?

The North East was very much a heavy metal mecca in the 80s. We had great rock clubs, a massive rock radio station, and all the biggest bands played there. So, it exposed me to rock and metal from an early age.


7. What instruments have you added to your repertoire more recently, and how have they enriched your musical expressions?

The main one is Bass Guitar. I really had no interest in it for the longest time, but now I enjoy composing bass lines probably more that guitar parts. Just one note can change the emotional impact of a whole song.


8. As someone with over two decades of experience in the music industry, what do you see as the most significant changes or trends in the industry over the years?

Clearly the advent of social media and music streaming has totally revolutionised the journey of new bands. When I started, “getting a record deal” was the goal for most bands, but now that Is probably the last thing on most new band’s minds. It is much more important to make great music and build a following, which in turn will allow bands to sell tickets and merchandise. I don’t know how many streams it would take to bring in as much revenue as selling a single t-shirt, but I bet it’s a lot.


9. What can you tell us about your short-term ambitions for your music career, particularly regarding your YouTube channel and collaboration with other artists online?

I really need to produce more output on my channel. As previously mentioned, I can spend months working on a single song. I would like to get to the point where I am producing, say, 10 songs a year. It feels doable, but I just haven’t built that kind of momentum yet.


10. Could you provide more details about the types of collaborations you're interested in and how other artists can get involved in your projects?

I would love to collaborate with great vocalists in particular. Most of my songs I feel could be better realised with a really strong vocal. So if you are a singer or lyricist and you are reading this, please get in touch!

11. Your long-term vision includes following the Ghost/Katatonia pattern of transitioning from a studio-based project to adding a live element when there's demand. What excites you about this evolution, and how do you plan to approach it?

Its difficult. I have tried to form bands locally, and also to join other that already exist, but none of these efforts have worked out so far for various reasons. TO be honest, I have put live performance on the back burner for now to try and really improve my output from the studio in terms of both quantity and quality.


12. How do you stay motivated and inspired to consistently produce new music, especially during challenging times like the pandemic?

As Bruce Lee said, there is no try, only do. If I had to make an effort to be motivated and inspired to make music, I wouldn’t bother and I would do something different that DID motivate and inspire me. I don’t need music in my life, but right now I want it, so I am doing it. Its as simple as that.


13. What role do accompanying visuals play in your music, and how do they complement or enhance the overall experience for your audience?

This comes from my initial experience of releasing music on Spotify. You release what you think is a great song, on the same day as 10000 other acts release what they think is a great song. It’s a drop in the ocean, and hard to distinguish over the racket of other people’s guitars. So I came up with the idea of producing visuals, from a starting point of knowing nothing whatsoever about it. It allows me to produce something that I think is more uniquely me than the music alone, and I found I really enjoy the process of putting the videos together. The advent of easy to use AI tools is the icing on the cake. Its like a collaboration with a visual artist of infinite patience.


14. Can you share any upcoming projects or releases that your fans can look forward to?

That would be good wouldn’t it? I am hoping to release another video this year. The song is called “Friendly Fire”. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don’t miss it!


15. In your journey as a musician, what has been the most memorable or defining moment for you, and how did it shape your career?

Probably playing “The Phantom of the Opera” to a group of impressed friends when I was 18. I realise now it wasn’t a great rendition, but the look on their faces at my enthusiastic attempt told me I should keep at it, and here I am.


16. Finally, for aspiring musicians who are looking to embark on a similar journey, what advice would you give them to navigate the music industry successfully and achieve their creative goals?

Don’t do what I do sitting in front of a computer all day layering guitar tracks. Get out there and play! And wear ear plugs. My ears are broken.



(34) Antony Welford - YouTube

Antony Welford (@antonywelford) • Instagram photos and videos

https://www.facebook.com/akwmc/



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire