Groover

samedi 8 juillet 2023

Interview Gravethorn

 

Welcome to an exclusive interview with Gravethorn, an emerging force in the realm of blackened death metal. Today, we have the opportunity to explore the origins of Gravethorn and gain insight into their unique journey as they transitioned from a solo project to a fully functional band. Get ready to descend into the abyss and embrace the dark depths of Gravethorn's blackened death metal!


  1. Can you tell us more about the origins of Gravethorn and how the band came together?  Gravethorn really became a side effect of what was a project in learning how to mix metal music.  My last band recorded a demo and we weren't satisfied with the mixes we paid for.  Then the material just kinda sat around and we weren't really doing anything with it so I thought "If I have enough time, I can learn some basic stuff and give us a better mix" which I did, and even though it's not nearly perfect, it was better than what we had, so we were able to now get our stuff out there.  That band has since disbanded and I continued messing around and recording stuff at home to learn more, some old ideas and some new, and eventually, there was enough materiel to really put together and release a full length, so now I had to come up with a name for this and make it somewhat official.  
  2. How has your experience of building a home studio during the Covid-19 shutdown influenced your music and the overall sound of Gravethorn? I wouldn't say it influenced the music at all because a lot of this style of music is constantly spinning around in my head, but during the Covid-19 shutdown was a great opportunity to create an environment to capture some of it, as most of my best ideas disappear into the ethyr on a regular basis.   It really didn't take much to do, I had a spare bedroom and during the Covid-19 Shutdown, I saw it as an opportunity to take this on, because prior to Covid-19, it was always somewhat in my head to pursue this, but I never really had the time to dedicate to getting a project like this started, and now I had plenty of time so it was a matter of taking advantage of an opportunity when others were complaining about the inconvenience.  I was fortunate enough to have the financial resources to get a good computer for the recording software, and I've been collecting gear for years whenever I saw a good deal on used equipment.  I built  a custom desk to fit the gear into, and now my spare bedroom is known as "Heathen War Studios"
  3. What were the main challenges you faced in learning to mix music and how did you overcome them?  Well, it's definitely a complex science and to be honest, I've barely tapped the surface, it's quite a wormhole of knowledge and I salute all of those engineers and people who make their living behind the soundboard.  Some of the main challenges are to remind myself I'll never be 100% satisfied with the mix, and there will always be better mixes out there. There's some rules I've heard like 30/10 meaning 30 minutes of mixing, 10 minute break, repeat or else it all starts sounding the same.  I unfortunately found myself doing 4 hours and then taking a break, which probably slowed my progress.  Sometimes I thought it sounded good, went to bed and the next day I thought it sounded awful.  I would definitely say I did NOT overcome any challenges, hahaha.  The learning always continues, but it's nice to look back to where I was when I first started and know I've come a long way since then.  
  4. Could you describe the vision/hallucination that inspired the name "Gravethorn" and how it relates to the band's identity and music?  So often as I'm falling asleep, I realize I'm starting to dream, but I'm conscious enough to realize I'm partially awake, so I try to relax my brain to the point where the dream is happening but I'm still awake, so it's similar to a hallucination.  One night, I was listening to some Ambient music (I don't remember who, it was on a streaming playlist) and I had this vision of several centuries ago (and this is obviously a fictional thought) when people of wealth or power died, the professional grave diggers of that era had a system of soaking thorns and vines into a toxic solution  and as the thorns soaked up the toxins, and they carefully wrapped the casket with these thorns, in the event of a grave robber trying to steal the valuable contents inside the coffin.  They would shortly get very sick and a large raven would come and stand over them and inhale the final breath of the would be thief.  These thorns were known as the gravethorns.  before I completely fell asleep, I made a note of the name, and the next day I liked it, so I decided to keep it.  The fact that the vision took place a long time ago and I've always been fascinated with things from a long time ago probably helped link the identity, the name, the vision and the music.
  5. Your debut solo album has received a lot of support. How did it feel to have friends from previous bands contribute to the project, and how did their involvement shape the album?  It felt amazing to have friends contribute!  I'm originally from the East Coast of USA, and was involved in a few different bands years ago with some amazing players.  When bands dissolved, it was usually on good terms and we continued friendships,  The same with my situation here in Las Vegas, I wanted the guitarists of my last band on this CD, in addition to Robert Emerson, who we had planned on starting a band together anyway, I had some stuff put together and sent a message to my friends to see if they'd be interested, and most of them were.  The ones that did contribute, I heard what they did and it really made me step things up because I've looked up to them for many years  in regards to their musicianship, and I thought, "this has to be a really good CD to feature these guys, I can't have these amazing guitar solos on songs that are just ok".  I owe a great deal of gratitude to these guys, they made what would have been a pretty cool CD to a really great CD, and I know I'm biased, but I'm really happy with how everything came out.

  6. What made you decide to transition Gravethorn from a solo project to a functional band, and how did the conversation with Robert Emerson and Bob Hill influence this decision?  Bob was the drummer of my previous band, and even though that band dissolved, I knew I wanted to still continue music with him in some capacity, we have a great chemistry that works well together and obviously, he's an excellent drummer.  Our vision for the last band were on very similar terms, so he'd be the perfect drummer for Gravethorn if he wanted to be.  The funny thing is, some of the songs on this CD I had wanted to contribute to the previous band, and it just never happened, but Bob knew the music I made and liked it.  When the previous band was fading out, Bob and I started jamming with Robert, and some really cool stuff was happening with stuff Robert wrote, but regular rehearsals were getting difficult due to a variety of life's hiccups, work schedules, relocation, etc.  When the Gravethorn CD started picking up some steam online and gaining traction, Bob told me he was going to start playing the Gravethorn stuff, which I thought he was joking because he's a death metal guy first, but in my head I was thinking "that would be amazing if that came together", and the song Robert played on (March of the Savages) was doing  really good on Spotify, so I casually said "We might have to make this an actual thing" and he replied that he was thinking the same thing.  So we had a casual meeting in a restaurant and discussed goals and strategies of what to do with Gravethorn and we're all on the same page on what we'd like to pursue with this, with realistic expectations.  We wanted to make sure we were all on the same page before going forward, so as of now, Gravethorn is a 3 piece with Bob Hill, Robert Emerson and myself with room for expansion.
  7. As you work on completing the lineup for the band, what qualities or skills are you looking for in potential members?  Definitely a passion for Black and Death Metal.  Reliability is just as important, and obviously, know how to play.  Stage experience, own gear and transportation, a steady job, the usual stuff.  But we also have to be able to get along as well.  I've seen too many bands go for the most amazing player they can find, but it's not going to work out if everyone isn't getting along.  Everyone in this band will be equally important to the band, there will be no egos or competitive players.  It's more about the feel of the music and less about who's better than who.
  8. Can you give us a glimpse into the creative process behind your music? How do you typically approach songwriting and arranging?  To be honest, I don't really have an approach.  Sometimes I'm sitting in my studio just plucking the strings of the guitar and nothing is happening, but sometimes something comes out and that's the inspiration right there, it just takes that one chord progression that can open many doors of creativity.  Having the studio, I'm fortunate that I can capture the thoughts before I forget them as long as I'm home.  Many of my best ideas musically happen when I'm nowhere near home, and unfortunately I forget the idea.  Sometimes I have an idea in my head and when I try to play it, it sounds awful, but if I play it wrong, I like it.  It's a big mess in my head, hahaha.  
  9. How would you describe the musical style and genre of Gravethorn? Are there any specific influences that have shaped your sound?  It's funny because I describe it as Blackened Death Metal, some people say it's straight Black Metal, some Black Metal diehards say it isn't "trve kvlt" enough and they call it Death Metal, some Death Metal diehards say it is not Death Metal in any way, it just goes to show that everyone has a different vision of what a genre should contain.  Regardless of what one calls their own music, there's always someone that's going to re-label it.  Personally, I think there's way too many genres, but that's just me being a grumpy old man.  I was very happy the first time I realized the streaming platform Pandora gave us our own station, and after my song, I was hearing Dark Funeral, Enslaved, Immortal, Behemoth, Abbath, and many of my favorites, they lumped Gravethorn in with some awesome bands.   I'd say the direct influences are tough to define, because there's always going to be stuff floating around in your head that have become a part of you and may have been a variation of a variation of something you heard years ago.  For me, I'd say Watain, Belphegor, Winterfelyth, Emperor, Black Sabbath, Type O Negative, Dark Funeral, Immolation, they all probably played a certain factor in how this came out.  Plus all of the subconscious stuff that creeps into your head when you're not paying attention.
  10. What themes or messages do you explore in your lyrics, and why are they important to you?  Again, sometimes these things just come to me when I'm about to fall asleep, I'm not sending political messages, I'm not a poet or anything like that; stuff gets stuck in my head and I just want to get it out there for anyone else who might listening to it.  A friend told me when stuff like this pops in your head (whether it's lyrics or music) they're gifts from the ethyr, from spirits in other dimensions.  Many of the lyrics have to do with conquering overlords or people that think they should dominate your life, some are about communicating with the dead.  That covers a lot of bases whether it's political or religious, people can interpret the lyrics however they want (and they certainly will, haha) , and many times they can relate for a variety of reasons, but it's really just meant to entertain.

  11. Are there any specific songs on your album that hold a special significance or personal meaning to you? If so, which ones and why?  They all have a place inside me in some capacity, but I'd say "Kingdom of Vines" because parts of it were kicking around inside my head for many years, back to the 1990s, something I wanted to start with my friends back home but my friends I wanted to get together with already had other bands and were pretty dedicated to that.  It's great that I had the opportunity to see that song to it's completion (finally!)
  12. What are your plans for the future of Gravethorn? Do you have any upcoming projects or shows that fans can look forward to?  No shows anytime soon, we have to complete the lineup before we set that goal, but yes, we want to get on the festivals and play for sure.  We're older and have done way more non-paying bar gigs than anyone should have to do in their lives.  I know it's part of the process, but we've all certainly paid our dues in music.  For now, it's all about getting plenty of  rehearsals under our belts, completing the lineup, and using the power of the internet to really spread the word.  We're very much looking forward to playing live shows again. 
  13. How has the reception been for your music so far? Have there been any standout moments or memorable experiences you'd like to share?  The reception has been amazing and much better than I anticipated. The metal community is truly incredible and people are giving us some phenomenal feedback.  I'm very happy this is resonating so positive with so many people.  When something resonates with someone, it's a really special thing, almost at a spiritual level for some.  I'm honored to have been put in a position to be able to take those noises in my cranium and pass them forward to those waiting and willing to hear it.  Everything is still in that whirlwind phase so I can't name any specific standout moments, it's one after another to be honest.  I went and saw Emperor this past Saturday night in Anaheim California, which is about a 5 hour drive from my house, and when I gave some CDs away, some people actually recognized the name and said they heard of me, so that was a pretty big deal seeing as this is still a very new project in the big picture.
  14. As a band, what do you hope listeners take away from your music? What emotions or connections do you aim to evoke through your songs?  Mainly, I just hope it brings a feeling of satisfaction to whoever wants to accept it.  I know it's not for everyone, people have their opinions of how something should sound, that's fine, but if those who like it REALLY like it, that's all I can ask for.  I hope it brings them to the great places I've been to when I closed my eyes and listened to some of  the great artists I heard for the first time.   It did elicit a very negative response to one person-rightfully so.  My friend's truck recently got stolen, when it was found, we looked at it, the interior was a mess, they stole his stereo and speakers.  Within the mess, we found the Gravethorn CD (which was originally in the stereo that got stolen), and it was actually smashed.  They took the time to smash a CD instead of just tossing it aside.  You have to really make an effort based on negative emotion to smash a CD inside a vehicle full of soft upholstery.  I'm really glad the music upset them that much, if they stayed out of my friends vehicle, they wouldn't have felt that anger.  
  15. Finally, is there anything else you would like to share with your fans and the readers of this interview?  This is always a tough one to answer.  I'm sure there's many things I could say, but can't think of any of them at the moment.  Just be good to yourselves, be good to others, support  the music underground in any way you can, share music, stand up for yourselves when necessary, and in this day in age, don't look for reasons to hate or be offended, look for good Metal to listen to instead!

 Facebook

Chris Conant (@gravethorn_official) | Instagram

(113) Gravethorn - YouTube

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire