The Total Sound Of The Undergound

Lelahel Metal

Vorgrum's new EP, Summit of Dreams, blends personal experiences with folk and pagan metal. We discuss its creation, balancing traditional elements, and the band's unique sound.

1. Congratulations on the release of Summit of Dreams! Could you tell us about the inspiration behind this EP and what story or themes run through it?

Hello! Folter here, thank you!

The inspiration for this EP is based on personal experiences, behind each song there is an intimate background about myself, on the songs I express what I think, feel and did in this last year of my life, giving an epic and adventurous touch.

2. Folk and pagan metal have a unique blend of traditional and heavy elements. How do you balance those two aspects in your music, and how did that influence the sound of Summit of Dreams?

I love folk metal, those traditional instruments allow me to “live” my songs more, they transport me to a fantastic world, let's say that the metal base gives it the aggressiveness that is needed and the traditional instruments calm my being, a powerful connection is made

3. Can you walk us through the creative process for the EP? Did you approach the songwriting and recording differently compared to your previous releases?

The truth is that I have followed the same process as in previous works, I found the correct way in which I like to work and I feel more comfortable, I simply sit down and start writing until I finish, when I finish the composition I have a few beers and I start recording everything haha


4. The folk instrumentation is a standout feature on the EP. What instruments did you use, and how do they enhance the overall atmosphere of your music?

I used many instruments, accordion, trumpets, flutes, strings, etc., the truth is that I had to discard some or relegate them to being very much in the background since in the “mix” of the song there is not enough space to put everything in and make it sound clear, so the most prominent instruments were left.


5. Your music has been compared to bands like Equilibrium, Ensiferum, and Moonsorrow. How do these influences shape your sound, and in what ways do you aim to differentiate yourselves from these bands?

I think that these bands tell stories and talk about events, mythologies, mythical figures and traditional well-known figures, I try to do it more from my life experience, about the adventures that I live, at least in these latest works, the comparison is natural, the music is within of the same genre haha

6. "Summit of Dreams" was self-produced in your own studio. What was it like having full control over the production process, and how did that impact the final sound?

It is gratifying to have control of everything, you can capture in your work exactly what is going on in your head and you are much more relaxed, although the sound can always be better, there are times when we have to learn to say up to here

7. Ramiro J Pellizzari handled the mixing and mastering. What was it like working with him, and what did he bring to the project that enhanced your vision for the EP?

Working with Ramiro was very gratifying, he is a person who understands the genre since he has also had projects in this environment, so I get along very well with him, he understands what I want to convey, and he does not dwell on the matter, here in Argentina you don't have an idea of how slow and lazy some people can be, turning work that should be a fun process into something extremely tedious and slow.

8. Argentina may not be as well-known for its folk metal scene compared to other countries. How has your local scene influenced your music, and how do you feel about representing Argentina in the global metal community?

Well I don't know if I feel proud haha I'm just aware that today I am one of the first and only bands that have remained active since the genre began in the country, after Skiltron, which has been a great influence, even though it is in another subgenre within the same genre.

9. Your previous work also blends folk, fantasy, and metal elements. In what ways does Summit of Dreams build upon or diverge from your past releases?

Summit of Dreams is a little more “personal” it is more “emotional” and I think the lyrics are closer to people and they can relate to their personal experiences, the song “rebirth” is an example of this.

10. Folk metal often connects deeply with fans who enjoy the fusion of mythology, history, and nature. What do you hope listeners take away from Summit of Dreams on both a musical and emotional level?

A great listening experience, that the music and lyrics resonate within each one and help them as inspiration when things get dark, a ray of light that helps them ascend and conquer their greatest desires.

11. What’s next for Vorgrum? Are there plans for a full-length album or any upcoming tours to promote Summit of Dreams?

There is no upcoming concert by now, as it's a single-person project (me haha), though I'd love to plat live in the future, like in the old times, there's going to be a new album in the future, as I have plenty of already composed songs, this is something that I'll do for the rest of my life because it , me helps me a lot, it's a way to canalize my energy and something that I love doing. Thanks for the interview!

vorgrum | Facebook | Linktree

Vorgrum (@vorgrumfolk) • Photos et vidéos Instagram

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact