The Total Sound Of The Undergound

Lelahel Metal

Rory's latest instrumental track "Burning" channels raw energy and personal growth, blending heavy influences with technical mastery. He shares insights on inspiration, emotions, and musical evolution.

1. Rory, can you tell us about the inspiration behind your latest instrumental track, "Burning"? What emotions and experiences did you want to convey through this song?

The whole idea of „Burning“ started when I’ve bought this beautiful Jackson 7 string multiscale. Eight strings where too much for my taste so once I’ve asked myself how I would construct the perfect dent 7 string. And one day I saw this Jackson appeared on the market and it had the exact specs that I had desired. Neck through design, 648mm - 686mm scale length, maple neck with ash wings, ebony fretboard, locking tuners…everything except for the pickups, cause I prefer passive pickups with not that much output. But the Fishmans are quite good! So when I got this guitar, I put thicker strings on it (a custom set of Elixir strings) and tuned it down to C Standard with a low G. I immediately started to „djent“ on this low G and this was quite an overwhelming feeling. I never tuned down so low. I just had to laugh how brutal but defined the sound was and how „mighty“ it sounded. So my brain made the connection to this „positive aggressiveness“, when you are doing really exhausting sport stuff and you are feeling how your muscles are burning but (with your right mindset, which is not given everyday) your mind is pushing you over your normal limits. Just like when you are riding a really hard downhill track, your forearms are burning but you’re just in the flow and everything is right and you’re not just believing that you you can do it, you KNOW that this is going to work. This is a feeling that I don’t have very often, but when it’s there I really enjoy it and keep going. When you’re just burning and go for it.

2. You've mentioned that "Burning" is heavily influenced by bands like Periphery, Meshuggah, and Dream Theater. How did these influences shape the composition of the track, especially in balancing the heavy and melodic sections?

The idea of the song just started with that rhythm on the low G string, which I wanted to syncopate to make it more interesting. Periphery and Meshuggah are doing this kind of stuff very often. But I really wanted to add more tension tonally wise and I instantly remembered the song „The Dark Eternal Night“ by Dream Theater which is building such a special tension in the main riff. The reason for this is the use of the „Half Tone Whole Tone“ scale, which is symmetric and is often used in jazz improvisations over the dominant chords, cause it builds that special tension and has an unique flavour. So that’s my attempt for a „Dark Djenternal Night“ I guess. For the chorus I used another special scale called „Double Harmonic Major!“ Which is quite similar to „Phrygian Dominant“ except for the major 7th. You can build cool chord structures with this one, so I wanted to try this one. The structure of the song is quite simple. It’s quite classic, with a verse, a bridge, a chorus, some kind of Dream Theater Style break with Periphery influences for the first theme. The second theme has a strong dream theater vibe because of all that time signature changes.

3. Your new track features the use of a multiscale seven-string guitar with heavy gauge strings. How did this instrument and setup contribute to the vibe and energy of the song?

With such long scales (the Ibanez bass has a 37 inch scale on the lowest string!) you can tune down really low and with really heavy strings without losing the clarity and aggressiveness. Such thick strings and low tunings become quite muddy sounding and have a „flubby“ feeling on regular scale length guitars. The sound is really clear and you can really dig into that string without intonation problems. This really helped to achieve the sound which I’ve desired. And a good sound always inspires you to write good stuff and channel the right feeling for a song.


4. You describe the feeling of playing these low frequencies as giving you "Thor, the almighty" vibes. How does this energy impact your creative process, both in music and in other aspects of your life, like downhill biking or working out?

As I mentioned, I really don’t have this feeling quite often and to be honest, I don’t know how to channel this state of mind on purpose. It just happens. Please don’t get me wrong, that I am running around and that I am always feeling like „I am the best!…Thor? Never heard of her!…This is spaartaaaa!“ This is not the case. Most of the time it takes discipline to practice guitar, go to the gym and to sit down and write new stuff. But on some days, you get this „almighty“ feeling, the discipline you showed pays out and you are doing stuff so flawless and easy that you never did before. And this is giving you the power to endure that discipline till you get the next push. Cause you know that t will come, even on the days where just nothing is working and you want to quit. This is the reality of success in my opinion. Success comes in stages and not as a straight line.

5. "Burning" channels a sense of achievement and positive aggression, similar to reaching a personal goal or milestone. What is the most recent goal you've achieved, musically or personally, that gave you that same "flow state" feeling?

There are already some things that I am really happy about, but the most recent goal that I have achieved was to gain control over my life and build it up the way I wanted. Don’t get me wrong, I am not finished yet and I did not achieved that alone. It took three years of therapy to fight my inner demons that slowed me down all the years. And I have great friends which are like family to me and also a great girlfriend since two years, which are like an anchor to me when things don’t go the way I have planned them. They are all by my side, are great companions on my way and I am very thankful for every single one. Without them, things wouldn’t be quite good for me to be honest.

6. As someone who is "always hungry" for the next challenge, what are some goals you are currently working toward, both in your music and outside of it?

The next goals for my career are quite challenging but fun to work on them. I want to build up my social media accounts and my YouTube Channel, so my second album will have a bigger impact and reach out to more people. And maybe I am getting some attention from a record label. I want to play live again but as a solo artist this is quite hard, cause the people who are playing in your band also want to be creative and write own stuff, which I totally understand. And most of the people have regular jobs and other stuff going on, so they only want to do music as a hobby, which is totally fine but does not quite fit into the way I want to go. The few concerts where cool and fun but expensive for me. I need pro musicians who are able to replicate the stuff that I have written out, but they are expensive to. The goal is, to build up a presence and gain some attention, so I can get more rentable gigs and work together with some booking agents. To be honest, nobody is interested YET if I play a concert tomorrow or not. So I need to build up a fanbase online. Quite challenging to do that but fun to figure out what is working and what you should not do.

7. Your previous album, "Welcome to Neverland," was released in 2019. How have you grown as an artist and a person since then, and how do you think this growth will be reflected in your upcoming second solo record, "The Mirror"?

I would say that the therapy helped me a lot to get a better understanding about myself and my actions and WHY I reacted that way on some situations. This helped me to gain control over my emotions and reactions. I am able to take a moment now and think about how I react on some situations or to reflect about the things I want to do…and maybe NOT do them because this is not the right time or the would harm me or other persons. This is the reason why the second solo record will be called „The Mirror“. Cause I have looked in the mirror without filters, reflected about my past and change myself to the person I want to be. Don’t get me wrong, I am not perfect. Nobody is perfect. I just found a way to gain more control over myself and change to the person I want to be. The best versions of myself. And I am much happier with myself than in the past.

8. "The Mirror" will feature vocals again, whereas your recent releases have been instrumental. What made you decide to return to vocals, and how do you approach writing vocal parts compared to instrumental sections?

The plan to do more records with vocals was always there. To be honest I wanted it to be finished and released already, but something held me back in my actions and my creativity. And one part of this was the fact that the first record did not had the impact I wanted. I think this is the reason why the most bands quit and don’t keep on going and it is quite frustrating. You put all this work and money in it and get quite nothing from it in short turn. But the first record was a big learning curve for me when I look back and opened quite a few doors for contacts and possibilities which payed out for me when I finally had the energy to write and release „Anxiety“ and „Burning“. These single instrumentals had a good impact and showed some more results! So I got that drive back to write a second solo record. I love to write lyrics and of course good vocal lines. But I am not a good singer and it is quite hard to find someone that is vibing with my songs AND is able to perform them the way I desire it. But I think I found someone and I am quite excited to make these songs become reality! The instrumentals where an idea to produce „quick“ stuff to gain more attention but it turned out they are challenging in another way too but in a fun way!

9. As a mix and mastering engineer, you have a deep technical understanding of sound. How does your experience in this field influence the way you write, record, and produce your music?

I would say, it changed the way I am thinking about a good sound of single instruments and what the purpose of every single instrument is. Is it a track to fill u the background or is this a main part? Should the bass guitar double the riff or play an own part to make the sound wider and more open and not that tight? All these questions and the understanding of frequencies changed the way I write and produce music a lot! Especially my taste in a good guitar sound. I don’t like this heavy scooped sound anymore. When you are playing alone, it is quite fun because it sounds so big ad fat. But in a band context, this kind of sound disappears in the mix and makes it overall muddy and flabby. The low end starts to fight with the bass guitar and the kick drum and just makes everything washy. So I like tight and midrangy sounds a lot more nowadays cause this is the place where a guitar sits in the mix.

10. Finally, what can fans expect from the upcoming instrumentals you'll release before "The Mirror"? Will they follow a similar style to "Burning," or can we expect some surprises?

I don’t want to spoiler too much, but you will definitely will get some surprises! It would be quite boring to do the same thing over and over again. Not just for me but for you too. So I will have some very cool and talented guests on the next instrumentals. And the next track will be more in the style of Liquid Tension Experiment which had also a strong influence to me. (Especially that Live Record on YouTube from „Acid Rain“! Check that out, this is unbelievable what these four musicians are doing and it sounds a lot better than the studio version, which is quite cool but this live version…maaaaan!).

Rory Rhoads – Welcome to Neverland (rory-rhoads.com)

Facebook

Rory Rhoads (@roryrhoads) • Photos et vidéos Instagram


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact