The Total Sound Of The Undergound

Lelahel Metal

Endonomos returns with their powerful second album, Endonomos II - Enlightenment. We discuss the creative journey, philosophical themes, and unique collaborations shaping their distinctive death doom sound.

1. Congratulations on the release of Endonomos II - Enlightenment! Can you tell us about the creative process behind this album? How did it differ from your debut album?

The main difference is, that the first album was written during covid, containing also some ideas I already had lying around, lacking a fitting project, and I had all the time in the world. After the very positive perception of the debit, I was a littler anxious if I could it justice with a equally high quality follow up in a timely manner. Bit, to my own surprise, the songs wrote themselves this time. I had the songs finished way earlier than I thought I would, and also quivker than the first record, and still got ideas left that didn't fit on Endonomos II.

2. The track "Atheon Anarkhon" deals with the inseparability of atheism and anarchism, and how their counterparts, theism and autocracy, corrupt the human mind. What inspired you to explore these philosophical themes in your music?

Everyday life, man. Religion and oppression are the scourge of the world, it's all over the place. Today even more than 20 years ago.

3. Endonomos’ music blends epic death doom metal with a very distinct style. How did you develop your sound, and what influences played a key role in shaping the band’s musical direction?

It's what comes naturally, I listen to a lot of classic Doom Metal, like Candlemass, Reverend Bizarre, Spiritus Mortis, Solitude Aeturnus on the one hand, and a lot of Death Metal like Deicide, Obituary, Morbid Angel aso on the other...

So, what comes out is a blend of these styles, enriched with some more proggy stuff like opeth, Katatonia, Edge of Sanity and even some bits of black Metal.


4. The track “Hostile” features guest vocals from Daniel Droste of AHAB. What was the collaboration process like, and how did his contribution enhance the song?

They are a wonderful band, and from day one I wanted his voice on an Endonomos album. From the first minute I heard his part, I was euphoric, I was actually laughing from joy. His voice and expression is so different to mine, it gives the middle part of the song a whole different kind of weight.

He actually recorded the vocals in a studio near him, i only gave him a version with my vocals as a guideline, so I heard it when it was finished, but I was right in having absolute confidence in his abilities, I love it.

5. Could you explain the significance of the album title Endonomos II - Enlightenment? What themes or messages do you hope listeners take away from this release?

The album as a whole deals loosely with the topic of human development beyond the crutch of faith and the perils of indoctrination towards knowledge and awareness.

But there is a reason why I don't add lyrics to the albums, I want people to discover and take from the album, what they perceive in a subjective, personal way. Not necessarily what I meant to express, but their impression.

6. There’s a lot of atmosphere in your music, with heavy, dissonant chords and unsettling sounds. How do you approach creating this sense of mood and tension in your compositions?

tough question, I just try to keep it intersting, create suspense. But honestly I don't have a blueprint.

7. "Atheon Anarkhon" and its Greek title suggest a deeper connection to ancient philosophy and history. How do you incorporate historical or philosophical elements into your music and lyrics?

Indeed, I am a BIG fan of ancient Greece and it's eclectic philosophy, the ancient Greek basically did the groundwork for an enlightened, modern society and it's science. A philosophical view on topics is the only view that makes sense to me when writing lyrics.

8. Your style combines heavy, doom-laden riffs with melodic choruses. How do you find the balance between the heavy and melodic aspects of your sound?

By trial and error. I work pretty long on my songs and tend to rearrange the mutiple times, cut parts, add other parts, and I spend big time on getting harmonies right to the point where I think "Yes! That's what it has to sound like!"

9. The album has a strong thematic concept. What can you tell us about the track “Kafir Qal'a,” and how it fits into the larger narrative of the album?

The Kafir Qal'a can be translated as "Heathen Fortress". I used it as a metaphore for enlightenment, knowledge, compassion and benevolence to shelter each other from the wickedness and horror of totalitarian ideas (like religion)

10. What role do visual elements, like album art and music videos, play in conveying the themes of Endonomos II - Enlightenment? How closely do you work with artists to create the visual side of the band?

We work very close with Armin Schweiger who does all our artworks, shirt designs etc. Also the video guys we've been working with have been by our side for a while.

That being said, the music is definitely primary.

11. Doom metal often deals with darker, existential themes. How do you personally relate to the themes of despair, struggle, or enlightenment found in your music?

I find existential themes to just be way more interesting and important to your daily life than, say, fantasy or gore. But that doesnt mean I don't enjoy a gory DeathGrind album or a fantasy themed metal album from time to time. To be honest, I enjoy this kind of stuff very often  It's just not something I myself could see myself writing about.

12. As you prepare to release Endonomos II - Enlightenment on September 27th, what are your plans for live performances or tours? Can fans expect to hear the new material live soon?

We've git a couple of album release shows set, and a lot more clubshows for the future. Also a tour fir next year is being planned, but tours are getting harder and harder to plan these days. But we have a couple of new songs in our live set already!

endonomos | Facebook | Linktree

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact