The Total Sound Of The Undergound

Lelahel Metal

Final Siege emerged in 2018, blending Death Thrash Metal influences like Slayer and Gojira. Guitarist Gil Vives shares the band's journey, lineup changes, and the upcoming album 'Nuclear Doom State,' promising a faster, heavier sound with a global perspective on corruption and war.

1. Final Siege, can you share the story of how the band came together back in February 2018? What brought each of you into the world of Death Thrash Metal?

Gil Vives: So, the original lineup consisted of myself, George and two former co-founding members Randy Reiser and Amir Jairazbhoy. Randy, Amir, and I initially started the band and practiced together until we found George through a Craigslist ad that we posted that year in search of a bassist. I was looking to start a Death Thrash project and we all had similar influences at the time like Slayer, Sepultura, and Gojira just to name a few. It helped that the three of us were best friends, so it was a natural beginning when we first started jamming together. We recorded our debut album March To Your Grave in late 2019/ early 2020. Unfortunately, the world fell into chaos that year (as I’m sure you’re aware of haha) so we couldn’t release it until 2021. We performed live between 2018 and 2022 until we reached a point where Randy and Amir could no longer be a part of the band on the same commitment level that George and I were looking for. October 2022 they would depart the band and in February of 2023 we reformed with the addition of Rob Maldonado on guitar and Ameer “The Beheader” Aljallad on drums. One year later we’re about to release our second album.

George Garcia: I came into the fold at the end of 2018. I answered an ad on Craigslist that basically stated, “looking for a bass player - influences Gojira, Lamb of God, Anthrax, Exodus”. I was in a cover band playing some metal and hard rock covers and was looking to play some heavier stuff, so this seemed like a perfect fit.

2. Your upcoming album, "Nuclear Doom State," is set for release on March 8th, 2024. How does this album differ from your previous work, and what can fans expect from this latest release?

Gil: Nuclear Doom State I feel is a more technically driven album. Our debut album “March To Your Grave” had more of a groove element to it but I felt it lacked a bit of intensity which is not to knock it, it was our first crack at making music together and recording so I am proud of that particular work we put out in 2021. I just felt that the next album needed to be a lot faster and heavier than its predecessor. When I presented the songs I had written on guitar (minus Primordial Combat that was written by Rob) Ameer had taken them to a level that I had in my head and beyond. He truly made the songs sonically better with the drum work he put out. Fans can expect a more aggressive and technical element to Final Siege with “Nuclear Doom State”.

Rob Maldonado: This album depicts the escalation of our original message; political corruption, greed, and war. 

George: The greatest difference contributing to the sound of our next album as compared to the first is the new lineup. I would say the new songs are faster, more aggressive and in a lot of ways more challenging to both us and the listener.

3. As a Death Thrash Metal band based in New York City, how has the city's diverse music scene influenced Final Siege's sound and style?

Gil: The scene here has definitely made us step up our game in every aspect. There are so many amazing bands here that you could literally find whatever you’re looking for from Black Metal to Grindcore and everything in between. Some of my favorites include Tombstoner, Viserion, Solemn Vision, Lies Beneath, Non Residents, Electrocutioner, Protagony, Nefariant, and Death Island (I could keep going but this answer would go on forever) These bands have definitely made us want to bring an electric performance each time we play live or put out music for all to hear.

George: Playing with great local talent has definitely pushed us to be better. The individuality from band to band as well as the many talented players that comprise these bands inspires me personally to play more, write more, and practice more. It’s important to keep improving because if you don’t you just get left behind.

 

4. Having shared the stage with national acts like Warbringer, D.R.I., Suffocation, and Atheist, what are some memorable experiences from your live performances or interactions with other bands on tour?

Gil: Probably one of the more memorable performances were with Suffocation, Atheist, and Bonded By Blood when they came around on their tour in 2022. We were opening for them at the Brooklyn Monarch and had a pretty decent crowd for going on at around 6ish on a Friday night. We sounded tight, the fans were already pitting from the beginning of our set and everyone had been warmed up for the main course that was after us haha. The best part of that night for me was the guys from each of the bands I had mentioned said we were great and would definitely want to perform with us again. Now if you would’ve told me at 16 years old that the great Terrence Hobbs of Suffocation would praise my band and performance, I would’ve called bullsh*t immediately let alone Kelly Shaefer from Atheist also giving us high praise. That was definitely a night I will never forget.

George: Seeing Atheist soundcheck was pretty awesome. Meeting Terrence Hobbs from Suffocation was really cool too. Probably one of the nicest, most encouraging musicians I’ve met. Seeing Warbringer from the side of the stage was great also! Those guys really bring it live!!

5. Final Siege's music reflects on global issues such as corruption, greed, and poverty. How do you approach incorporating these themes into your lyrics, and what message do you hope listeners take away from your songs?

Gil: I tend to use historical and present conflicts when I am writing the lyrics. I try to convey the same message when I create the riffs on guitar. For me it’s about using imagery rather than going straight to the point. I want the listener reading the lyrics to have both their own interpretation of the lyrics but also understand that I am talking about something that affects us all regardless of race. If I can get someone to sit back and go you know he’s making a good point, or I never thought of it that way then I’ve won. Unify the masses one song at a time! Haha. I also tend to write about what could happen if we all stay on the path that we’re on with the “leaders” we have in the world.

George: Gil writes all the lyrics. I think the great thing about them is their ambiguity despite having their own personal meaning to him and to us. The beauty of music is for the listener to connect to the struggle the artist is dealing with even if it’s different from the listener, maybe even opposite in some cases. The greatest gift you can give someone is letting them know they are not alone.

6. Can you tell us about the musical influences that have shaped Final Siege's sound? Are there specific bands or artists that have had a significant impact on your music?

Gil: Oh, there are so many, but for me personally I’m going to mention a few including my all-time favorite band FUCKIN’ SLAYER! (ironically, I’m also in a Slayer tribute band called Show No Mercy which I play bass and vocals) Death, Exodus, Children of Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, Municpal Waste, Power Trip, (RIP Riley Reid), Suicidal Tendencies, Gojira, and Sepultura. Again, this list goes on forever. As far as direct impact on the music I would say Slayer, Exodus, Power Trip, Death, and Sepultura. There is something about their music that just gets my blood pumping every time I hear any of their songs.

George: In addition to the ones already mentioned - I would add The Black Dalia Murder.  For me classic death metal like Obituary, Bolt Thrower, Immolation, Cannibal Corpse. A lot of the Relapse Records bands were also pivotal to me as well - Dying Fetus, High on Fire, Incantation, Pig Destroyer, early Mastodon, early Mortician. The list goes on and on…


7. Being an independent band, what challenges and advantages do you face in today's music industry, and how do you navigate them?

Gil: I think some of the challenges we face are not getting lost in the oversaturated market that is music and trying to be unique with our approach to metal music. I never thought I would’ve seen the amount of bands and artists that exist today throughout the world thanks to the internet. There is literally so much out there it’s hard to keep up sometimes so when something breaks out it’s usually word of mouth or seeing a band perform live. Some of the advantages are the relationships we end up making along the way. Since there are so many bands out there that means we can make genuine connections with them, their fans, and any business associates they may have. It’s all about helping each other grow as one. 

Rob: The biggest challenge as an independent band is exposure. The best way to navigate that is by focusing on building a following in other states. While taking advantage of the free marketing that social media platforms provide.

George: The greatest challenge is standing out amongst all of the killer bands doing it now. I think performing live in front of as many different audiences as possible is important. Utilizing social media to make it work for us is also important. I think this band lives or dies from our performances. We are 100% a live band.

8. The band's name, Final Siege, suggests a powerful and intense image. How did you come up with the name, and how does it represent the essence of your music?

Gil: So, when Randy, Amir and I were starting the band we were discussing names that meant something to us regarding the type of music we’d be putting out. I believe I threw out the word Siege and Amir said the phrase Final Siege and I said Last Siege so we took a vote and Final Siege would be the ultimate winner. For me it had to have a feeling of resistance and rebellion. I felt like a name like that truly spoke to that kind of message, like it was a way to say we’re taking down the last corrupt government or dictatorship that made its people suffer unnecessarily. Unite the globe and take down the ruling classes.

9. What can you share about the creative process behind your music? How do you collaborate and bring different elements together to create the Final Siege sound?

Gil: Usually what happens is I’ll write a complete song on guitar and send it over to the guys to listen and they’ll give their feedback. From there we’ll all learn it if we like it and add missing elements or tweak certain parts whether it be playing one part more or less at a certain point. Writing the album “Nuclear Doom State” was a fun process because I had all these songs ready to go and any time I showed them a song they were like that’s sick or that’s awesome. So, having that type of comradery, especially when solidifying the songs was crucial and we were all on the same page which isn’t always easy. Hell Rob wrote the guitars to Primordial Combat and Ameer added his flare to it and it was amazing to see because I didn’t really have to add much except for the lyrics and that was it. We all get along great and have pretty much the same influences and yet we each bring something unique to the writing process.

George: Until now people will bring in complete songs to hash out. I will learn all the guitar parts most of the time and start to find places to deviate. I will then try to find places to write a counter melody to the riffs. Sometimes I will double them. The last part of the process would be finding where I can add fills and accents. If you think of it in say comic book terms I add shade and color to their pencils.


10. Are there any specific tracks from your discography that hold a special meaning for the band or have an interesting backstory?

Gil: I think for me it’s Nuclear Doom State, which isn’t an easy choice because I love all the new songs we’ve created. But that one specifically holds a special place for me because it had a lot of moving parts especially with the guitar work and drums that were laid down. It was the first song where I said to myself THIS is the Final Siege sound going forward, this is the type of musicianship that we can achieve in our future releases. The energy alone did it for me, but it was also a type of premonition that if the world continues to go down the path it’s on we’re all essentially going to be living in a radioactive wasteland, you know kind of like the Oblongs except without the comedy. 

George: I would say the title track as that was the first one we completed with this lineup signaling the new direction of the band.

11. As musicians, how do you balance the intensity of your live performances with the more controlled environment of the studio during the recording process?

Gil: Oh man that’s tricky because we already recorded the songs at a certain pace and when we feel the energy of the crowd, we absolutely speed things up slightly but in a good way. Not in a I’m dying from lack of air because I’m singing my lyrics at the same pace Tom Araya sings Hell Awaits but in a we want to see a brutal pit for this one. We honestly let Ameer control the pace and go from there. Usually, he does a great job of keeping to a pace that’s close to the album but raw in its emotion and performance. Metal is all about the feeling you get in the moment.

Ameer “The Beheader” Aljallad: For me, I try my best to bring the same ferocity that I deliver to our live show while in the studio within the mics. Obviously, the element of a live crowd is missing, which typically fuels my energy. But, in the studio I try to pretend I’m playing a live show with all my exaggerated movements. The studio is a great place to really focus in on details, but I like to always perform as if I was in front of an audience at a club by doing takes of large portions of songs rather than punching in every fill. My approach to Final Siege (as a musician and how I did the mix for Nuclear Doom State) was to keep it real. No huge edits, no crazy gridding, I kept in a lot of my mistakes in effort to keep the music realistic. Far too much metal music is over-processed to the point where it loses its genuineness, I think fans are craving the realness that metal music was founded upon.

Rob: I’d say that the recording process is very intense in its own way compared to playing live. Being in a studio with time constraints, there can be pressure about nailing parts in a good time. While playing live is intense with performing our art in front of people and hoping to get a good reception. We manage it best by setting those necessary time constraints and creating multiple sessions where we can really hone in and practice so that we can play our songs as best as we can for our fans. 

George: For me practicing and drilling the songs as much as possible leading up to the recording, making sure I have fresh strings and preferably a set up on my instrument so it sounds the best it can. I trust the person recording me and am willing to do it as many times as it takes. I just need to know when we got it.

12. Looking into the future, what are Final Siege's goals and aspirations? Are there any dream collaborations or milestones you hope to achieve in the coming years?

Gil: As a band we’re looking to break out and become known around the world. My entire life I’ve wanted to be a professional touring musician. I want to see the world and showcase my art to the masses. My dream has always been to play Wacken Festival in front of thousands of screaming metalheads singing my lyrics back to me. Our goal is to get signed to a label, picked up by a booking agency and tour everywhere we possibly can. I have a few dream collaborations in mind. If I could collaborate vocally with Max Cavalera, Joe Duplantier, or George “Corpsegrinder” Fisher my life would be complete. On guitar though Gary Holt or Alex Skolnick would be insane, I think I would forget how to play guitar in that moment haha. Unfortunately, I’ll never be able to collaborate with Riley Reid and Alexi Laiho but they were definitely true heroes and inspirations in what I’m doing today.

Rob: Our goal is to create amazing Death Thrash music that can stand the test of time, playing alongside bands we’ve always dreamed of playing with, and meeting fans from all over the world. George: The ultimate goal would be to continue to record albums, perform for bigger and bigger audiences, and maybe not have to do anything else.

Official Website | Final Siege

Facebook

Final Siege (@finalsiege) • Instagram photos and videos

(150) Final Siege - YouTube

 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact