The Total Sound Of The Undergound

Lelahel Metal

Adz shares the genesis of "Reflecting the Light" and its upcoming re-issue. The album's immersive space-themed journey blends genres seamlessly, offering a unique sonic experience.

1. Can you share the inspiration behind the creation of Reflecting the Light and how the project came into existence during the summer of 2016?

Adz. : I don’t remember exactly how the project came into existence  but it was paired with another project .eterniteduchaos. (an electronic-somewhat-metal project inspired by melodies from my dreams). It was a time when I was intensively creative and absolutely sensitive to what come from what I call “the invisible world” (from where comes inspiration to my opinion). Also I wanted something slower than my previous project (Thy Apokalypse). In this project, there’s some kind of love inside that drove and inspired me a lot. 

2. Your upcoming re-issue of the eponymous album "Reflecting the Light" is set to release on January 26th, 2024. What motivated the decision to re-release the album, and what can listeners expect from this version?

Adz. : Nothing new, except it is not a self-released album and you’ll get a digisleeve and not a crystal box cd like previously. It is definitively better in this physical format.

3. The album is described as a journey to the depths of space, aiming to immerse listeners in the middle of emptiness. Could you elaborate on the thematic elements and the emotions you hope to evoke with the music?

Adz. : I want you to be immerse in the music in fact. With all the reverb and the music building it aims to be a stasis music that could help you to abandon yourself during the around 40 min of music. I don’t know what emotions could evoke the music to the listeners but I’m interested to read commentaries/reviews from them. The appreciation is different from one to an other listener, obviously.


4. "Reflecting the Light" combines elements of Post-Metal, Black Metal, and ambient sounds. How do you approach blending these diverse genres, and what challenges or rewards come with creating such a fusion of styles?

Adz. : As the composer I can say that this is the music that was writing itself and these musical genres are blending themselves as the inspiration was coming. There is a “logic” for each track and for the whole stuff and it doesn’t depend on me, even if I choose to use electric guitar with distortion and so on. The only reward to me is the possibility to (re-)release the album.

5. The album consists of five tracks, each with its own identity (I, II, III, IV, V). Can you provide insights into the creative process behind each track and how they contribute to the overall narrative of the album?

Adz. :  Well, I started to hear some melodies and I was trying some new synth vst/plug-ins that inspired me also. It was a combination of these two factors. When I start to compose, I never know what I’m doing and where I’m going. And eventually I don’t care about that. It is some kind of a creative adventure and I’m immersed inside the process of creation itself as a creator and technician. So I composed all these tracks and had this result that made (and always make) me happy.  To me it will be difficult to have a second album like that.

6. The composition, recording, and instruments are handled by Adz, while mixing and mastering are credited to Buck. How does the collaboration between the two of you work, and how does it contribute to the final sound of Reflecting the Light?

Buck : Adz and me know each other for a long time and have worked together on several projects. It's a long distance work relationship as we live in distant areas. The usual process starts this way : after having thoroughly done all his composer/musician things, Adz sends me a rough mix of the record a few months before the actual mixing stage. Sometimes, and it was the case for Reflecting The Light, he may rewrite some parts if he feels it's necessary. Then he records the final takes and sends them to me. I start from there, using the demo as mix directions. I send him files from the work in progress and I modify things according to his feedback. He gives me a lot of freedom and time, which is cool. When we're both happy with the mix, I do the final master.


7. Artwork plays a significant role in conveying the atmosphere of an album. Could you discuss the collaboration with V.Anxietas for the artwork and how it complements the musical themes of "Reflecting the Light"?

V. Anxietas : Working with Adz. on the artwork for 'Reflecting the Light' was easy. Adz. communicated his ideas clearly, which greatly facilitated our collaboration. The creative process began with a photograph of the Aurora Borealis reflecting over a lake, which laid the foundation for our work. This initial image acted as a catalyst for our creative exploration, allowing us to develop a visual that amplifies the theme of the album.

8. The promotional CD layout is credited to Derrek. How important is visual presentation in conveying the essence of Reflecting the Light, and what specific elements were considered during the design process?

Derrek : The visual is very important, especially in a concept like the Reflecting the Light album. When designing the layout of the promotional CD, I kept the base of the digisleeve graphics created by V.Anxietas. This void in space with these stars and these reflections of light which is the very essence of the project. I had to adapt the interior by reversing the colors, so that the information was easily readable while trying not to distort the work.

9. Reflecting the Light has been described as a 40-minute immersive experience. How do you envision listeners engaging with the album, and what kind of journey or emotions do you hope they take away from it?

Adz. : Well, I don’t know but I suppose listeners will probably start to be engaged with the artwork that will give the desire to listen to the album. For the emotion side and journey, I don’t have any hope. If the album is listened to, that’s cool !


10. With the re-issue of "Reflecting the Light" on various platforms, including Bandcamp and streaming services, how do you see the role of digital platforms in reaching a wider audience, and what are your expectations for the reception of the album in 2024?

Adz. : I was on MySpace in the 2000s, and that was the same thing that nowadays : you need to promote in many others plateforms to lead future listeners to listen the music of MySpace/Bandcamp. For this release it’s the work of the record label to convey listener  that.  What I’m seen, so far, is that Bitume is doing a great job, so I can expect to reach some listeners and to read some reviews from webzines for instance.

Bitume Prods (@bitumelabel) • Photos et vidéos Instagram

Musique | Bitume (bandcamp.com)

Facebook


 

 

 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact