The Total Sound Of The Undergound

Lelahel Metal

In this interview with Leila Abdul-Rauf, we explore the creative evolution behind Calls From A Seething Edge, diving into themes of global upheaval, rhythmic intensity, and bold artistic experimentation.

1. "Calls From A Seething Edge" is described as your most ambitious project to date. What inspired the shift in your sound towards a more epic and rhythmic approach on this album?

 L: Several things inspired this shift. The first four albums are all connected with a very defined sound, and after performing this material live many times over I started to feel a bit confined by it. So it was time to try something new and exciting, and more challenging. World events over the past year – all the wars, natural and human disasters, global expansion of rightwing politics – put a fire in me that demanded something more bold, rhythmic and alive.  Practical issues around live performance spaces was another big factor. With my previously more minimal ambient sound, I felt more restricted to what kinds of venues I could play due to the low volumes at which I would perform, and quiet, more intimate spaces are harder to come by. As a founding member of an established death metal band, I often get asked to perform with metal bands who tend to book spaces with bars and people talking loudly in the audience. This was really annoying when trying to perform my older material. Writing more aggressive songs played at louder volumes solves this problem.

2. The album reflects on themes of global and personal upheavals, including ongoing conflicts and ecological destruction. How do you translate these heavy themes into your music, and what do you hope listeners take away from it?

L: The lyrics reveal a lot, particularly for “Crimes of the Soul” which deal mostly with war and genocide and the lies people are fed their whole lives, me included. The folk elements reference various cultural traditions including ones from my own background, and elsewhere. I include samples of explosions at the end of “Summon”, as the lyrics right before them speak to the end of humanity. I always encourage listeners to create their own stories, because I think it makes for a more powerful connection to the music, but my goal with this album was to stir up whatever is lurking around in the unconscious, to haunt, to excite, to energize.

3. You’ve incorporated contributions from artists like Derrick Vella (Tomb Mold) and Sam Foster (ex-Saros). How did these collaborations shape the overall sound of the album?

L: The six guests I invited to play on the album all play a crucial role in creating the album’s overall character, giving it a much bigger sound than it would have had otherwise. Even before writing most of the album, I had an idea of what each guest should contribute so there was already a blueprint.I knew I wanted to feature a string quartet, and happened to know four string players who could contribute their parts. Those parts I mostly wrote out beforehand and asked them to play the parts note-for-note, with the exception of Gregory’s viola solos on “Summon” and “The Summoned” which were his own creations. I knew I wanted there to be a trumpet/viola duet on those songs, so I sliced up the viola parts to go back and forth between the trumpet parts, like a conversation. I knew I wanted Derrick’s guitar solo to go over the drone section at the end of “Summon” and trusted that he could write his own part for that as well. Sam is the best hand percussionist I know personally, and as I was writing and performing the dulcimer parts on “Mukhalafat” I knew there had to be hand drums there. So there was a lot of pre-planning with some experimentation thrown in as well.

4. Your use of a wide range of instruments, including trumpet, synth, and string quartets, is notable. How do you approach blending such diverse elements while maintaining cohesion in your compositions?

L: Cohesion is something I’m always mindful of when making an album because it’s so crucial; its lack or presence can make or break a record for me. One approach I use is to not compose all of the tracks simultaneously, but just start out with a few, and get those mostly finished. When I have 3 or 4 songs together, then the spirit of the album starts to take shape. I listen back to them over and over again, and contemplate about how to tie those songs together, especially if they’re all really different from each other. So the added tracks I make after that are a creative response from listening to the initial tracks and filling in what’s missing. Some of the added tracks have parts stripped from the other songs, or are variations of the same themes, which is another way to build cohesion organically.

5. The track “Crimes of the Soul” offers an immersive soundscape. Can you tell us more about the creative process behind this song and its significance within the album?

L: This song was one of those that felt like it wrote itself, it just came that easily. I started with the low distorted synth drones and drum programming as the base structure and went from there. I knew I wanted big vocal and horn parts over the whole thing. I also carried over the horn parts from Summon into the second half of the song, layering and pitch shifting them higher and lower which created all kinds of harmonies and various tones, which made them sound more like strings than horns. Initially I wanted Sam to play hand drums over it but he passed on that idea, instead adding more drum sampling over the beats I programmed, which added  more dynamics and depth to the rhythms.  When it was finished, it was such a strong stand-alone piece, a total banger, and along with the boldness of its vocals and lyrics, I knew it should be the album’s lead single.

6. Given the album’s conceptual nature, how do you balance creating music that is both deeply personal and accessible to a wider audience?

L: I’m not sure that I am always keeping both things in mind. If I don’t have personal connection to what I’m writing then it feels superficial to me, or more of an intellectual exercise, which I guess isn’t always a bad thing. I know some people like that approach but it’s not really my thing. So personal connection to what I’m making is of utmost importance. Sometimes I think my music is more accessible to a wider audience than it really is, so I guess it’s all relative; I have no idea how widely accessible it is, and I’m not thinking about that so much when I write.

7. You’ve been involved in numerous musical projects over the years, including Vastum, Ionophore, and Cardinal Wyrm. How has your experience with these bands influenced your solo work, especially on this new album?

L: They’ve not influenced my solo work as much as make me realize what’s missing in my life.  Playing in metal bands can be creatively confining. Have a solo project gives me the freedom, space and opportunity to make something completely unlike what I do in those bands. It helps me get out into different worlds so that I’m not trapped into one way of thinking about writing or performing. I’d be very unsatisfied if my whole music making life was only with your standard guitar-bass-drum bands. Ionophore not being a metal band is its own beast, more similar to my solo project in that we experiment in all kinds of ways, and since we’re so under the radar without a label, we work at our own pace without any pressure from the outside world.

8. With the photography of psychoanalyst Terrance McLarnan gracing the album cover, how important is visual art to complementing the music? How do you see the relationship between visual and sonic storytelling?

L: I see it as absolutely crucial, or even two sides of the same coin. Sound spawns the visual and vice versa. I can envision an entire album just by looking at a painting or a photograph: an album title, song structures and the types of instruments I would use. Not only is it important in the compositional process, but I find that the visual element in the live setting, while not completely essential for a great live performance, adds dimension and value, making the performance feel like more of an event, as long as the visual projections are done well. That could be another make or break situation. Lighting is also very important for any live performance, and can speak volumes about the music.

9. The release of "Calls From A Seething Edge" comes at a time when many are grappling with existential crises. What role do you think art and music play in helping people process such overwhelming emotions?

L: Art and music have many superpowers. They can be life’s saviors and healers, for the listener and creator alike. They can be a way to escape day-to-day misery, drudgery, or boredom. Perhaps they prevent someone from wanting to commit murder or assault because they can be containers for uncontrollable emotions. Yet they can also energize and mobilize, like a call to arms, make one ready for a fight. They can put you in a trance and explore alternate states of consciousness, or realize there is more to the universe than the smallness of concrete human life. 

10. You have a record release show coming up in Brooklyn. How does performing live differ for you as a solo artist compared to being part of a band like Vastum?

L: There are pros and cons for sure. Vastum has a much larger “built in” audience than I do so my solo performances can be a lot less predictable. Vastum typically makes more money for a show than I do but then again I don’t have to split what I make at a solo gig with bandmates so sometimes that works out to more money for solo gigs. But the unpredictability can be a good thing! I am less confined about what bills I play solo so it makes for a much more varied experience. I am much more adaptable as a solo artist and can perform in a wide variety of spaces which Vastum can’t as much. I can improvise, add other musicians, change up my set on the fly, so there is endless freedom. I suppose there are more pros than cons after all!

11. Looking ahead, what directions do you see your music taking in the future? Are there any new soundscapes or themes you are eager to explore in your next projects?

L: Beyond adding various musician collaborators from time to time, I have a strong desire to incorporate other disciplines into my live performances beyond the audio sphere: more varied kinds of visual art and film, live dancers and experimenting with other kinds of movement performance, poetry, recitation, ritual, spaces that incorporate more unique sound and lighting design. I can envision exploring soundtrack work, or other kinds of multi-media collaborations. There are infinite ways to keep growing artistically, and the universe has its way of revealing these opportunities at unexpected times, so I keep those spiritual pathways open.

 Leila Abdul-Rauf | Instagram, Facebook | Linktree

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact